hello advice needed

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
newtocactus
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

hello advice needed

Post by newtocactus »

hello, I'm new to cactus care and need some advise. I have a Haworthia limifolia which I bought from the supermarket 4 months ago hoping that I wouldn't kill it - I normally manage to alway destroy house plants so I thought I'd try a cactus! and so far it's doing ok but I think it needs re-potting, as you can see from the photo it looks a bit cramped.

Has anyone got any advice about what size of pot I should go for - very large so it doesn't need to be re-potted in a few years time or only slightly bigger?
also what type of soil should I use- just the common house plant composte or something special?
and from what I've found on the internat I should water it once I've re-potted it (in the autumn/winter period)

I'd also like to get another cactus, one that flowers maybe, has anyone got any recommendations for a novice?
thanks
cactus.JPG
cactus.JPG (15.62 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: hello advice needed

Post by sue46 »

Welcome to the forum newtocactus. Not an expert on this type of plant, have one but it isn't doing too much at the moment. Don't worry I am sure someone will give some advice for you. Have a search on the forum as well and don't be shy to post replies on other threads. Someone will always be about to help you. Good luck with this hobby, it will take over your windowsills!
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

About the other cactus you would like to have: do you mean a real cactus or a non-cactus succulent (like Haworthia)? Or does it not matter?
newtocactus

Post by newtocactus »

thank you for your advice. re the other cactus it doesn't matter which kind - I don't know the difference between the families I' afraid!
thanks
dulmen
BCSS Member

Post by dulmen »

Hello Newtocactus

Firstly I don't think it needs repotting just yet maybe another year, you have a lot of offshoots their so you are not doing to bad in the looking after stakes, fistly what you have is a succulent not a true cactus so you need to water it a little bit more than a true cactus, it is just coming into it's winter rest period so you should slowly water less and less never let it stand for to long in damp soil as this is the major killer of both cacti and succulents. It also depends where you are keeping it, warmth of the room and sunlight it gets. if you google the name you should be able to pick up lots more info on looking after it.

Regards

Sean
dulmen
BCSS Member

Post by dulmen »

Hi again try this site for general info

http://www.indoor-plant-care.com/plant- ... limifolia/

Hope this helps

Sean
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Hi Newtocactus

If you're looking to buy another cactus that will flower, I suggest you go for a Mammillaria. There are loads of species to choose from and most of them flower reliably every year, providing they get enough sun and appropriate treatment. Most decent garden centres sell them but check to make sure the one you decide on is in good condition.

Good luck

Rod
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mal L »

I would certainly go along with Rod's suggestion, but you may also want to try a Rebutia - also relatively easy to acquire and to keep, and whose flowers are a bit bigger than those of most Mammillarias.
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

if you want a real killer of a cactus. flowers are out of this world
go for a sulcorebutia they also offset rather fast.
everyone has his favorites. i hope you catch the bug. i had the same
problem i killed almost all of my house plants. my wife said maybe you should try
a cactus that was almost 30 years ago. iam still going strong with them.
they also forgive me if i forget to water them. just put on the internet
sulcorebutia cactus and see the plants and their flowers.
Bob
Thord
Registered Guest

Post by Thord »

Well that Hawortia will certainly flower next summer as they all are very floriferious,but the flowers aren´t much to write home about though. I see that you already have had some advice on what cactus to buy. One such that you will find in supermarkets and gardencenters is Gymnocalycium in a few different shapes. Gymno´s have bigger flowers than most and are also very easy to flower. Maybe you should buy a few different species and see what you likes the most.....
(AND THEN YOU WILL BE HOOKED !) :grin:
Thord. All kinds of smallgrowing cacti.