Windowsill collection expands...

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
dalesmatt
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Windowsill collection expands...

Post by dalesmatt »

Yes, I suppose it should be "The Collection formerly known as Windowsill" :cool:
I better take a photo of the few plants at home that are still on the windowsill. But then again they will soon be moved, once the heating is sorted, and the bubble insulation put in for the winter. (tu)
At the moment the greenhouse is enjoying a great deal of sunshine, it was 90 odd in there a couple days ago.
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Matt
Collection is expanding & looking good, thats a lovely agave viccie & the stellaspina is neat with pups mine stayed single so it went.
Really what you & your dad need is TWO greenhouses, is the garden big enough, maybe a Xmas present then your mum & wife couldn't say NO always works for me.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Wowee.... just look at that huge obesa!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

How old is she/he? Did you grow it from seed?

My stellaspina are about 4cm high and 1cm wide with a couple of stars each :grin: how big/old is yours?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

Some lovely Euphorbia you have there Matt, if you ever fancy swapping cuttings give me a shout :lol:
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Hi Folks :)
I've not been on the forum since mid October. Variety of reasons. Major lack of progress on heating meant that the collection is over wintering on several windowsills again at the moment! Some of the conophytums still flowered ok which was nice.
Thanks for the nice comments on the Agave VR, its a plant I really like a lot. It came from an old East Yorks member Ron Wood, a "pup" from his really huge VR that was bedded into his large house, it was massive and I saw it the year it flowered. The spike was massive. IIRC the plant was about 3 feet across, and quite tall.
Love your comments on the greehouse situation. We could probably use another one, but SID, or Spouse Interest Deficiency, dictates otherwise. [at present]
Sorry Julie, I haven't grown from seed myself I'm afraid, the Obesa was already probably 3 yrs old when I got it, I seem to have had it a long time, about 8yrs probably. The Stellaspina I've only had a couple of years. I saw a bunch of forbies at a growers and casually asked if he might have an E. Stellaspina tucked away, and he came out with that one from his collection house.[asking was £4 ok] The main stem is a little age marked but it doesn't bother me a bit. It amuses me to see people enthuse so much over aged habitat plants yet such aristocrats of the plant world would be castigated on the judging bench. :lol: My two E. Horrida are also quite old. The larger more pale grey one is over 20yrs old. I only have a few plants now from the time when I was at college and had to make visits to local shows and nurseries on my little motorbike.
Matt
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by sue46 »

Thord wrote:So why should you worry about plant names Matt? THE most important thing is that one likes the look of the plant. That´s my main reason when buying plants.Knowing names is nice but not a necessity to my thinking.
Quite agree, when you see some of these plants flowering it is worthwhile but to know what the name of the plant when someone asks is quite nice to.
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

The leaves were getting a bit 'fleshy' on my Euphorbia Crispa and it wasn't looking as its name implied. After a bit of pruning following an end of season repot, and a good rest its looking a bit better now and I am much more pleased, its one of my favourites :smile:
Ecrispa3.jpg
Matt
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

(tu) Yaay Euphorbias : )
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

The bookshelf of the windowsill collection is going to need a bit of an extension soon - I'm just waiting on delivery of the 2 volume set of White, Dyer and Sloan's 1941 'Succulent Euphorbieae', weirdly spotted after many months of occasional checking on eBay, for the bargain price of 70 Euros. The seller actually had it on a 30% discount. :) When I checked the revisions history it had actually been up since end of summer 2011. I don't know why my previous searches didn't find it when they did find some in the USA, but I happened to notice there was a search option for EU so I tried it. :geek:
Matt
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Lovely sunny skies, washing blowing in the gentle breeze, the smell of Provado in the air ;) Bought some small new neoporteria yesterday. Just need to master the macro on the nearly new digicam.
PS anyone know where to get camera battery chargers? Manufacturer quotes stupid price :(
Matt