New Season's cactus flowers? Well, SOMEBODY has to begin...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Peter A
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

New Season's cactus flowers? Well, SOMEBODY has to begin...

Post by Peter A »

This flowering (in London) to-day:
ASIMammillaria prolifera March 10 2012.jpg
For the last fifty years my M. prolifera has been my first cactus to flower every year. Until last year it flowered regularly in late March and April, producing berries from the previous season's flowers at the same time. Last year it started flowering the second week in March, and flowered continuously (not "continually") through into late December, producing some berries the same year. This year the first flowers opened on the 5th March (though I thought for a while they were going to open in February).

There have been anomalies with several other cacti also. P. strobiliformis, which usually flowers in August, flowered copiously in June-July, and again, copiously, in August-September. My large L. Tegeleriana, which usually flowers in September, flowered in July, and then flowered repeatedly, through until the end of December. It hasn't only been happening with Cacti, either, as listeners to Gardener's Question-Time over the past year will be aware.

In October 2010 there was an article in Nature suggesting that the quality of sunlight had changed, and that whilst we were getting the same amount of radiation, we were receiving eight times less at the ultra-violet end of the spectrum than we would expect even at a sunspot minimum (and, I presume, in consequence, more at the infra-red end). At the same time, my doctor tells me, there is a sudden outbreak of vitamin-D deficiency. (Our skin uses ultra-violet to produce vitamin-D).

Ultra-violet radiation warms the upper atmosphere. Infra-red radiation warms the ground. Quite apart from any effect this might be having on air- and sea- currents, and hence, perhaps, climate change, could it, I wonder, explain the flowering anomalies of our plants?