Hello from Epsom

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Rob Kitching
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hello from Epsom

Post by Rob Kitching »

I have only recently been introduced to the delights of the CactusWorld Forum. There is truly a mass of information here. I have been growing cacti for around 10 years and have a collection of about 300 of the smaller growing types, some seed grown. My particular interest is in sorting out suitable growing mediums for cacti. I find the over-generalised recipes from cactus nurseries about suitable composts most unhelpful. They all seem to assume that one compost type (peat based or soil based, or both), depending on the nursery, will suit all cacti. In my experience this is not the case. I hope to learn from Forum comments about the experience of others in this area. I currently use three different growing mediums, depending partly on the genus.
RobK
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Hello from Epsom

Post by Phil_SK »

Of course you're right - the ideal compost for different plants is usually different. You can understand why books and nurseries generalise, though, otherwise it's far too complicated for many a beginner and more experienced grower alike.

I'm pretty lazy, and use the same mix for everything, I think, although my proportions vary from batch to batch because I do it by 'eye' rather than measurement, which involves adding a bit more of this and then of that until it looks about right. It's probably about 40-50% peat-free multipurpose (New Horizon brand, used to be J. Arthur Bowers' New Horizon) with the remainder roughly equal amounts of 6mm-ish alpine grit and Tesco's cat litter.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
delandmo
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hello from Epsom

Post by delandmo »

Welcome Soliloquysam. As well as reaping valuable information from this forum, have you thought about joining a local BCSS club to gather even more information close up. I ask, as a member of the Surrey branch, which hold meetings on the first Wednesday of each month @ 7.45 pm in Banstead village, just across the downs from you. The full address and contact details can be found below by clicking on to the Branches and looking up Surrey branch. As a grower of cacti for more than 10 yrs. your experiences would be more than welcome and as a valuable new member.You have just missed this months meeting, which was a talk by John Hughes on plants that can be kept more cooler in the winter than we think, and ways of keeping greenhouses warm at half the cost most of us are experiencing at present. Hope to see you in the near future. Derek.