Identities needed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Les.Needham
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Identities needed

Post by Les.Needham »

It is a pain being able to buy decent plants but always unnamed. That is the situation in Cyprus. Can anyone help me with the names of these three? Please.
0094s.jpg
0094s.jpg (108.65 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
0095s.jpg
0095s.jpg (110.68 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
0096s.jpg
0096s.jpg (91.04 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
Les
plantworlds.org
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Ross M
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Identities needed

Post by Ross M »

At a guess -

Mammillaria mystax, spinosissima 'Uno Pico', carmenae.
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Les.Needham
BCSS Member

Post by Les.Needham »

I can't match up any of them. Particularly carmenae!
Les
plantworlds.org
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Werewolf »

1. I think this is closer to M. karwinskiana, possibly one of the shorter spined forms of ssp. nejapensis, than the related M. mystax, which usually has pink flowers. This is a species that can offset or divide dichotomously.

2. M. spinosissima 'Pico', a popular and attractive cultivar with normally only a single central spine and no radials.

3. Probably a hybrid of M. carmenae and M. laui, judging by the colour of the flowers and spines.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I always wondered with Mammillaria carmenae are all these reddish spined forms hybrids, or is there a range of spine colours in habitat?

The whitish-yellow spined form in the second link is what I normally associate with carmenae from habitat:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMIL ... rmenae.htm

http://mammillaria.forumotion.net/t1058 ... a-carmenae

I think 'Uno Pico' is correct for the other one. Not 'Un Pico' as missspelt in this link:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMIL ... n_pico.htm

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

DaveW wrote:I think 'Uno Pico' is correct for the other one. Not 'Un Pico' as missspelt in this link:-
I am not sure of where the name comes from or even what language it is, but according to one of my workmates who is from Honduras, 'Un pico' is the correct form in Spanish.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Yes it's strange Anders as looking on the Web both forms are used for the Mammillaria. You almost equally get both versions quoted. For instance off one Web site for Uno:-

""One" in Italian, Spanish and other Romance languages."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_un_mean_in_spanish

http://common-words-translated.findthed ... in-English

Evidently then UN = a, whilst UNO = one? Looking up PICO I get:-

"Depending on how it's used it can mean different things. A sharp point (end of a pencil, knife, etc.) ; to poke; beak of an animal; a sting..".

So I think the name Uno Pico = Mammillaria "one spine" is more likely correct than Un Pico = Mammilaria "a spine"?

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

If I understood him right, "uno" is the word used when counting (1, 2, 3 ...) without referring to anything particular, but when put in front of a noun it becomes either "un" (masculine) or "una" (feminine"), depending on the gender of the noun. Hm, I have a friend who has taught Spanish, she must know the grammar terms and rules.

Some people call it just 'pico', which probably is the least correct, but at least more difficult to misspell. :smile:
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I always thought it was 'Un Pico'. We have a Peruvian woman at work who might know, assuming it is in Spanish.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

"One" in Italian, Spanish and other Romance languages."

Could it be Italian not Spanish? Though looking on the Web Pico seemingly means "small" in Italian, which would not be appropriate in the Mammillaria's case?

DaveW