Most expensive succulent seeds?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Most expensive succulent seeds?

Post by BrianMc »

Diane wrote:For Julie...a pic of E. symmetrica x obesa. This was a rogue seedling that popped up in another pot - the parents could only be E. symmetrica (female) and obesa (male) as they were the only ones flowering at the time.

I would defy anyone to distinguish it from either parent they look so similar. As Brian says, it has no particular merit apart from one of curiosity!
IMG_1556 (800x600).jpg

Well going by your image Diane this would pass for a typical E.obesa as I can only see one flowering point per rib.

Perhaps symmetrica should really be called E.obesa var. multiflora :wink:
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
georged
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by georged »

BrianMc wrote:
Julie wrote:Saschi, an obesa/symm hybrid sounds great. Have you got a picture?

Sorry Julie, but I can't imagine this cross having any particular merit apart from scientific. These plants are too similar and hybridising would just muddy their distinction. Releasing such crosses amoungst the succulent growing community would only add to confusion - something which I believe already exists as far as the majority of multi-headed 'obesa' that come up for sale are concerned !
The thing that I would be interested in would be the number of flowering points that the offspring would have. This is the only accurate distinction between obesa and symmetrica. obesa has a single flowering point whereas symmetrica has a cluster of three!
Interesting.

The examples of Symmetrica on Cactus-art http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/EUPHOR ... etrica.htm only appear to have single flowers.

Also I have a female Symmetrica bought as a named plant from Toobees which to date has only produced single flowers. Does this mean I should not call my seedlings Symmetrica?
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Tony R wrote:Hi Sachi,

I have a Euphorbia X 'William Denton' in my collection, acquired about 10 years ago from an "aging" Dartford branch member.

It is apparently a cross between obesa and mammillaris, and it fits this bill.

See, eg. http://www.euphorbia.de/eh_william_denton.htm which tells you who Denton was.
Hi Tony, I realise the website has nothing to do with you, but the plants shown in the link you posted surprised me. They show two very distinct forms, one thick and tall what appears to have male flowers and the other which is very reminiscent of mammillaris showing a thin plant with female flowers. Which of the plants is 'William Denton'? Has the name been given to one particular plant or to the crossing of E.obesa with E. mammillaris? Having made many crosses of E.obesa and E.mammillaris and then subsequently back crossing F2 and F3 plants I am disappointed that such a simple cross could achieve the position of being named and goes to show how eager people are to name things. If the name was given to a specific plant there is obviously some misunderstanding on the website you linked to as all the plants I have ever raised from these crosses were single sex and therefore I find a breeding pair of 'William Denton' most unlikely!
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

georged wrote:Also I have a female Symmetrica bought as a named plant from Toobees which to date has only produced single flowers. Does this mean I should not call my seedlings Symmetrica?

Hi,
I think many people make the mistake thinking that symmetrica is more striped or banded than obesa - this is not the case. It is possible to get beautifully marked obesa. true symmetricas are much rarer ( and therefore potentially more valuable) than obesa so I would not be surprised if single symmetricas in collections have been frequently pollinated with obesa and perhaps the seed passed off as symmetrica.
Jeff S
BCSS Member
Branch: COVENTRY

Post by Jeff S »

I have some really old (and looking it) symmetricas in my collection, so I thought I'd take some pictures to show the multiple flowers. Problem is they are not growing much yet, but I think you can just about see from this shot, flower buds usually in threes. You may need to click to enlarge the picture to see better.
sym-4-1.jpg
Jeff S
Coventry Branch since 1988
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

From what I read symmetrica has a more strongly developed tap root, apart from the main distinguishing fact about the solitary inflourescence on obesa versus the multiple ones on symmertrica.
I was amused by Dyer's observation that obesa is normally higher than thick and symmetrica is normally thicker than high - bit of a generalisation but true.
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias
georged
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by georged »

dalesmatt wrote:From what I read symmetrica has a more strongly developed tap root, apart from the main distinguishing fact about the solitary inflourescence on obesa versus the multiple ones on symmertrica.
I was amused by Dyer's observation that obesa is normally higher than thick and symmetrica is normally thicker than high - bit of a generalisation but true.
I recall a photo in the journal a couple of years ago of two symmetrica which were columnar so with age that observation is not true.
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Thanks George, habitat or in a collection I wonder, not that it matters I guess. Getting back to seed, anyone had any success with symmetrica seed?
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Getting back on the subject, prices of seeds I have seen of Lophophora alberto-vojtechii also makes this one a good contestant for most expensive seed of a succulent.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

I have male and female E. symmetricas, which I've crossed - seed germinates 100%!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!