New Forum member

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
orrel
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

New Forum member

Post by orrel »

I've just joined the Forum. I was a member since NCSS days & in due course was a BCSS Judge but had to sell my entire collection over over 1000 plants in 1998. I kept a few plants indoors, some raised from seed given me personally by Alfred Lau. My last BCSS contact was meeting Tom Jenkins in the tearooms at Helligan gardens 2 years ago. On 1st March we left Cornwall & landed in Spain & are now living on Costa Blanca (Orihuela Costa). My few plants came with us in the car. Have now started again, buying selected plants locally, especially white spined Mamms. Growing outdoors in this climate is a whole new ball game! The British-raised plants don't like the hot sun & I don't have a garden just a tiled patio. The price of ordinary plastic pots here is unbelievable. However there are some bargains. I bought a 7" pot filled with a beautiful Hoodia bainii in a garden centre for 3 euros & had to pot it on into a 9".
The coastal dune systems here which are wooded with Eucalyptus & dwarf pine are being swamped by mats of Hottentot Fig, Mesemb crystallinum, assorted Mesembs (Ruschia spp?), agaves & other 'escapees'. They look lovely but the native flora is under real threat but no-one seems to worry.
Would be glad to make contact with any enthusiasts in the area.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: New Forum member

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum. It's wet and soggy in Wales today.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
dalesmatt
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Welcome, I envy your weather and hope you can connect with some local enthusiasts.

Rod, isn't it always ;)
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

dalesmatt wrote:Rod, isn't it always ;)
We get our fair share :wink:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.