Obsessed

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
capsid
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Obsessed

Post by capsid »

Hi,

My wife and I seem to have become addicted to succulents now. This has arisen because we have a nice conservatory in which the succulents thrive. A search for local nurseries selling cactus revealed Abbey Brook Cactus in Matlock where we discovered some wonderful plants and filled the sills in no time.

By chance we are going to Fuerteventura soon and the trip has a whole new angle to it now. We plan to hire bikes and cycle off road to see what we can find.

Any advice/tips please?
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Obsessed

Post by Liz M »

Take your camera, there will be succulents growing wild. You may be able to buy plants there. Don't buy too many and for lightness, take them out of the pots and shake off the soil, then pack carefully. I don't think you have to declare them at customs but on the safe side you could mention them. Most customs officers would not have a clue and would wave you through.
Alternatively join the BCSS, attend your local branch meetings and buy plants there or go to an event. Of course there is the National Show in Godmanchester on the 18th August but you may be away then.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
capsid
Registered Guest

Post by capsid »

Yes, we are away for the National Show, we'd love to have gone, what a pity. We will go to the Birmingham show in October though.

I'll certainly be taking a camera to Fuerteventura. I understand I can bring back 5 plants from the Canaries. Last year we went to Tenerife and came back with a barrel cactus. I suspect we may bring back our maximum allowance this time
capsid
Registered Guest

Post by capsid »

In compensation for not being able to attend the National show, there were some lovely succulents that I saw on holiday in Fuerteventura. Wouldn't it be lovely to have a garden like this?