Reminder for 2012 ZONE 6 CONVENTION, N London, Sat 20th Oct.

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Apicra
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Reminder for 2012 ZONE 6 CONVENTION, N London, Sat 20th Oct.

Post by Apicra »

We have a great venue, with great speakers and great sales! Tickets will be available at the BCSS National Show.

The next Zone 6 Convention will be held on Saturday 20th October from 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Capel Manor Horticultural College, N London (also home for recent Zone 15 Conventions). Admission also includes entrance to the extensive model gardens around the college - see below.

The overseas speaker will be Petr Pavelka (Czech Republic) with a new talk about NW Namibia, the Namib Desert & Kaokoland; plus a Madagascan talk about succulents from the dry spiny forests & central mountains.

In-between, Martin Lowry (UK) will speak about Bolivia & its cacti.

We also have our first choice nurserymen: Alan Phipps Cacti and Terry Smale Succulents, plus Keith Larkin Books and Harrow Branch members’ sales. There will be the usual raffle.

Tickets include a substantial buffet lunch, plus morning & afternoon tea/ coffee/ biscuits. The price is £15 in advance from:
• The BCSS Publications stand at the National Show on Saturday August 18th.
• Zone 6 Branch Secretaries.
• Harrow Branch via Chris Backhouse, kaktuskris@fsmail.net, 14 Lister Cottages, Dagger Lane, Elstree, Hertfordshire, WD6 3AT.

Please make cheques payable to C. Backhouse and enclose your email address if available. The last date for buying tickets is Sunday October 14th (no admission on door). The full address is Capel Manor College, Bullsmoor Lane, Enfield, EN1 4RQ (just SW from the northern M25/J25). http://www.capelmanorgardens.co.uk/

The following Zone 6 Convention will be organised by Berkhamsted Branch for Saturday 20th April 2013.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Harrow Branch Chairman
Attachments
Capel Manor Garden Guide
Capel Manor Garden Guide
Last edited by Apicra on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apicra
BCSS Member

Re: 2012 ZONE 6 CONVENTION, Capel Manor, N London, Sat 20th

Post by Apicra »

Ticket sales are going well, but to encourage more, I attach some photos of the gardens at Capel Manor, taken in March this year. We have a very full program for the cactus convention, but you may find time to walk around and explore.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Harrow Branch Chairman
A small part of the gardens to the north of the house
A small part of the gardens to the north of the house
Capel Manor Gardens P1040646.jpg (210.58 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
Some of the glasshouses in the walled garden
Some of the glasshouses in the walled garden
Capel manor Grounds P1040635.jpg (240.31 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
The main lake to the south of the newer model gardens
The main lake to the south of the newer model gardens
Capelk Manor Lake P1040647.jpg (190.1 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
Apicra
BCSS Member

Re: 2012 ZONE 6 CONVENTION, Capel Manor, N London, Sat 20th

Post by Apicra »

I shall have tickets for this Zone 6 Convention to sell at the MSG Event in Banstead next weekend:
http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 2&t=156684

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Harrow Branch Chairman
Apicra
BCSS Member

Re: Reminder for 2012 ZONE 6 CONVENTION, N London, Sat 20th

Post by Apicra »

With two weeks to go, this is a final reminder to buy tickets for the Zone 6 Convention at Capel Manor, N London, close to the M25. Tickets are selling well, but there are some left. We have reached two-thirds capacity. The last date for buying tickets is Sunday October 14th (no admission without a ticket).

An extra small attraction is planned: a Zone 6 archive table. This is the 40th anniversary of the first Zone 6 Convention in Luton in 1972. The idea is to illustrate the long history of our BCSS zone with old Zone 6 Newsletters, Zone Show schedules, committee minutes, etc. If you can bring any more memorabilia or photographs, they would be most welcome.

The following Zone 6 Convention will be organised by Berkhamsted Branch for Saturday 20th April 2013.

Looking forward to a memorable day out,
Derek Tribble,
Harrow Branch Chairman
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Looking forward to it! It sounds like three excellent talks, an opportunity too for members of Zone 6 and the more local Zone 15 (and even members from further afield) to meet up, and also if we can find time chance to see the excellent autumn colours within the grounds of Capel Manor.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Tony
Myself & some Mk branch members will be there, quite looking forward to it as it will probably my lasy Cactus doo of the year.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

2012 ZONE 6 CONVENTION, N London, Sat 20th Oct.

Post by Tony R »

Hi Derek,

Please pass on my thanks to all the Harrow members who made this event such an enjoyable day, it all worked so smoothly.
The three talks were quite exceptional - brilliant!

A hard act to follow next year, but knowing Jakub and Peter, they will. Looking forward to it already!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Apicra
BCSS Member

Post by Apicra »

I too was very pleased with the way it went on Saturday, with 62 people buying tickets. Capel Manor Horticultural College is a sort-of obvious choice of location for us to learn more about growing cacti & succulents, with spacious facilities and professional catering. The buffet lunch really was substantial! We enjoyed three outstanding talks, from more knowledgeable and experienced speakers than you would get at usual branch meetings. And we were able to provide an unusually broad range of sales interest.

The comment that I value most is that "there was a nice friendly atmosphere". But I could not have organised it without knowing that Harrow Branch have an experienced committee that can be relied upon. It was very much a team effort, but Chris Backhouse (tickets), Martin Edwards (treasurer) & Zi Grout (drinks catering) deserve to be thanked singly for doing most of the preparatory work.

So cactus conventions are not to be missed! There will probably be another opportunity to visit Capel Manor gardens next March when Essex Zone 15 organise a convention there (no details yet) (& Lea Valley Branch meet there monthly, but in the evenong when the gardens are closed). Or then our next Zone 6 Convention will be organised by Berkhamsted Branch for Saturday 20th April 2013, with another speaker from the Czech Republic, Jakub Jilemicky plus Peter Beresford from the UK. You are even allowed to attend both!

Best wishes,
Derek