Should I water?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Should I water?

Post by Cactus Kid »

I have a Euphorbis stellaespina that has suddenly produced a ring of flowers.

It has not been watered since the end of September and the greenhouse is heated with the temp around 5c most nights.

It has not shown any sign of shrivelling, so should I just leave it or does it require a dribble of water at this point?

Thanks you for your help (tu)
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Peter B
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Should I water?

Post by Peter B »

I would say no or only a tiny moistening in a period when you can be sure of sunny days and the ability to keep temperatures no lower than 5 Celsius. Most cacti and succulents need temperatures of 10 Celsius or more in the daytime to achieve growth. I have always tried to keep my Euphorbias dry through the colder, short daylight months, even if in flower. They have plenty of stored moisture.
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

I saw Euphorbia stellaespine in nature near Graaf Reinet :they were in flowers and in the morning the temperature was -2-3°
So you can water your plants :the best way is to put some water in a cup and then put your pot in the cup for 5mn :only the bottom will be watered and your plant will found the water
McFarland
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by McFarland »

My E. stellaespina are developing flower buds at the mo, generally coldest the greenhouse gets overnight is 10c or so and I give them a bit of a dribble of water when the compost is dry, otherwise not alot. (Not worth the risk!)
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Are there no winter-growing Euphorbias at all? I haven't grown any, but then I've only owned about 5 in my entire life.
Cheshire, UK
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

iann wrote:Are there no winter-growing Euphorbias at all? I haven't grown any, but then I've only owned about 5 in my entire life.
Most plants from the Canaries are best treated as winter growers, including the Euphorbias.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Soo... stellaspina can cope with 5 C - I somewhere picked up the idea that E. obesa doesn't like to be below 10 C, and applied that to all Euphorbias. I have a max-min thermometer next to them on the sill, which has so far recorded a min of 8. They have not been watered since the Aug bank holiday, and are in plastic pots, top dressing, one third sand. I hope they are dry! There has been some shrivelling but not a lot. All flowers have long since died. I lost one small plant this year, which I wondered whether was due to the new older colder house last winter, as he had not been repotted for 4 years.

In the last snap I didn't manage to heat myself to able 10 C, let alone the plants.. :lol:

I am guessing that every species has its own minimim temperature...

I have obesa, an obesa-meloformis cross (this one comes off the sill when there's frost) - suzannae/bipleurifolia cross, small stellaspina, officcionado all the way from Madagascar. Are all of these okay down to 5 C?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Julie wrote:I have obesa, an obesa-meloformis cross (this one comes off the sill when there's frost) - suzannae/bipleurifolia cross, small stellaspina, officcionado all the way from Madagascar. Are all of these okay down to 5 C?
E. obesa, E. meloformis (and the cross too, probably), E. suzannae x bupleurifolia (but not E. bupleurifolia, that needs to be around 10C!) are safe to probably freezing temperatures even.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Julie wrote:Soo... stellaspina can cope with 5 C - I somewhere picked up the idea that E. obesa doesn't like to be below 10 C
All of my S. African Euphorbias regularly go down to 5C, and probably lower, as they are next to the glass in many cases.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Thanks, Aiko and Ralph. I feel better to know that! I was in the warmer pad for the two bad winters. Lucky last winter was not too bad, in fact I am sure I was colder last week than at any point last winter in this house! Some of the forbies have been with me since childhood... so I need not fear for their little lives so much. :grin:
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.