Greetings from Peak District, UK

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
purzo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Greetings from Peak District, UK

Post by purzo »

Hello all, I'm Gary a new member from the Peak District. I've been a mostly unsuccessful cactus grower since I was in my early teens. I expect I'm too heavy handed with the watering can which probably also explains why I'm now quite successful at keeping a number of carnivorous plants (Drosera, Sarracenia, Dionaea muscipula etc, etc).

I still have a few cacti but I I recently discovered Asclepiads and found them and other succulents to be absolutely fascinating coming, as they do, in all shapes and sizes and with their amazing flowers. I obtained a Huernia zebrina magniflora from a member on another forum (CPUK) and have managed to not only get it through the winter but also to flower twice. So, while I will still keep a few cacti, my main focus will be on succulents.

Apart from the Huernia, I have some Lithops, Haworthia, Sansevieria, what I guess is a Gymnocalycium and an Easter Cactus?? Many of these are just struggling along rather than thriving.

I am hoping to learn from more experienced growers on the forum so that my plants can thrive and, of course, to increase the size of my collection.

Regards
Gary
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
domhorton
BCSS Member

Re: Greetings from Peak District, UK

Post by domhorton »

Welcome from Dom in Chesterfield!
BCSS Member - 50391 - Sheffield
http://cactipics.blogspot.co.uk/
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman

Post by GregoryBulmer »

Hi Gary,

Yes the watering conditions for sarracenia and cacti are very different! Give cacti a good soak then let them dry out completley,if you're not sure if they're dry err on the side of caution and leave it a bit longer. The form is a great place for advice ranging from watering and grit all the way to to care for rare specimens. If you get yourself down to your nearest branch meeting they'll probably give you some free plants to grow/kill! :mrgreen:

Gregory
Greg
Member since 2012
Cold hardy cacti and slow growers.
purzo
BCSS Member

Post by purzo »

Hi guys, thanks for the welcomes. I also just joined the BCSS so might see you at one of the Sheffield meetings in the near future.

cheers
Gary
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman

Post by GregoryBulmer »

It'd be great to see you there Gary. The next one is on the 12th of April - Seed raising. That might be one you find particually useful if you're wanting to expand your collection a bit.

Info here: http://www.sheffield.bcss.org.uk/programme.html

Hope to see you soon!
Greg
Member since 2012
Cold hardy cacti and slow growers.
Dot
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Dot »

Hello Gary,

Welcome to the Forum and to Sheffield Branch.Hope to see you at our next Branch meeting which is on Friday 12th April.
Our speaker is David Rushforth from Southport who will tell us about "Grafting, seed raising and seedling grafting".
David is a very good speaker and an expert grower of cacti and succulents. He often brings plants for sale.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.
purzo
BCSS Member

Post by purzo »

Dot wrote:Hello Gary,
Welcome to the Forum and to Sheffield Branch.Hope to see you at our next Branch meeting which is on Friday 12th April.
Hello Dot,
Thank you, I'm hoping to be able to attend next week. Look forward to seeing you all there.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests