euphorbia mamillaris minima fluffy tops!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ceacole
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

euphorbia mamillaris minima fluffy tops!

Post by ceacole »

Could anyone help me here-

My succulent, named in the title seems to have fluff accumulating on some of the tops.
I went away for 4 days.when I went it wasn't there. I blow on the tops that were covered and 90%
Of the fluff blew away.

Is this normal? My phone camera won't capture what it looks like.

Any ideas?
'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again an expecting the same results' quote by someone more insightful than me
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Re: euphorbia mamillaris minima fluffy tops!

Post by RICHAUD »

Hi ceacole
This could be a fungal attack :oidium ?
A photo ?
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Not sure I'm talking about the same thing but I lost about 1/3 of my forbies this winter 'thanks to' something brown that started appearing on their tops. Didn't try to blow it away tho. But anything I tried was useless, I was spraying, I was cutting.. no avail, they kept shriveling, turning brown and .... :(
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
McFarland
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by McFarland »

Hey AnTTun and ceacole

DO NOT blow the fluff away, this will spread the spores to other plants. I had a single plant with fluff on it and I blew it away, then a few weeks later had 20+ plants all coming up with the fungal attack. It seems to thrive the most in draughty/cold/shade. This fungus has scarred quite alot of my very nice plants so I'm very sad :sad:

I tried controlling the fungus by keeping the plants away from cold, shade, draughts etc, and spraying with 50/50 water and milk which I had read somewhere online might have some effect on the fungus, try at your own risk :lol:
ceacole
Registered Guest

Post by ceacole »

hi guys

thanks for the replys

cant get a photo as the fluff is so fine- looks just like white dust.
Good point about the blowing! silly mooo that i can be!

The only thing with it being a possible fungus attack is that it is ontop of my fridge/frezzer in the kitchen. Its warm about 18degrees and dry with a south facing window about 2 foot away.

I actually bought this plant with about 15 others from the cactus mart in march. Since then i found eggs in a aloe as i watered it. spider mides on a budda temple and now fluff on this plant!

I have never had any problems with the other 60+ that i own!!

I also read about the 50/50 milk water spray....ummmm i think first I will isolate the little dear , wash and dry the plant?
...from there reasearch .......
'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again an expecting the same results' quote by someone more insightful than me
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

It's warm enough, pop it in the garden.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
ceacole
Registered Guest

Post by ceacole »

Haha! Success, blasted the poor plant with the spray hose and left in garden for a day. Simples!
Totally fluff free :-)