Astrophytums- June Journal

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Astrophytums- June Journal

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, reading the very interesting article regarding Astros. I came across the words "chemical or radiation" regarding the Japanese cultivars. Can any one explain whats going on, or are we talking about genetically modified plants here. Cheers Eric
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Astrophytums- June Journal

Post by CactusFanDan »

Firstly, let me say that the term Genetic modification is a grossly mis-used term. It tends to be used in place of Genetic Engineering, when the two are vastly different. Genetic engineering is when you actively seek out to change an organisms genome, using recombinant DNA technology, for example. Genetic modification can be something as trivial as you going outside and sunbathing. Your skin cells are genetically modified by the sun's rays. That's just something which really irritates me.

Anyway, as for Astrophytum cultivars. A common method for the Japanese to create new and wacky Astrophytums is to irradiate the seeds with low doses of ionising radiation. Probably something equivalent to a handful of dental x-rays. The irradiation causes mutations in the seeds, which are then sown and if anything fun comes up, it'll get grafted and cultivated. The same can be done with mutagenic chemicals like Ethidium bromide. It's a lot more hit and miss than genetic engineering would be, but it's also waaaaay cheaper.
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Why only Astrophytums, I wonder. I reckon the mutations of radiated seeds might happen with all kind of succulents.
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by CactusFanDan »

Oh, yeah, they do it for all sorts of other plants. Some of those funny coloured Gymno's are a result of irradiated seeds.
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Thanks for the very useful information. I'm not sure I like the results much but some like do and they do go for crazy money
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Have to admit I have succumbed to buying some of the 'special astro's there is soo much variety, this was a recent gift from Japan it's quite large 5" just waiting for roots.

Anyone know what the trendy name is, it's label came in Japanese so no use to me :wink:
astro.jpg
astro.jpg (201.87 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Colchicine has also been used to induce mutations in various plants. It tends to produce polypoidy, but can also cause mutations. I don't know if it's been used to deform cacti.
Last edited by MikeT on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
delandmo
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by delandmo »

Hi Tina,

Not an expert on Astros, but looking at the photos in this months Cactus World about Astros by Stuart Riley, I would suggest it's A. myriostigma and probably a "Fukuryu" type ("Nudum" form)
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Only it's mother could love that Tina! You sure it's not gone rotten? :???: :smile:
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

It's a trendy candle surely?

I can see the wick in the centre.......