Hello from coventry

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Kerstin
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CRAWLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello from coventry

Post by Kerstin »

Hi
My name is Kerstin and I'm a new bcss member currently flitting between the Birmingham and coventry branches. I have a small collection of asclepiads, but seem to be having trouble getting them to flower. Any hints or tips would be welcome. I also have a few cacti, turbinocarpus and ariocarpus types. I'm a windowsill grower, new to the hobby and would appreciate any advice especially regarding watering and feeding.
Kerstin
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Hello from coventry

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Welcome to the forum
Sorry cant give advice on how to flower them as I have problems with my Stapelia plants
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo »

Hi Kerstin, welcome to the forum. I'm also a new member and have built a small collection of asclepiads over the last few months. I've found that my Huernias flower readily once they have reached a reasonable size. My Caralluma's and Piaranthus are still fairly small so no flowers. I think a couple of my Stapelias have just started showing buds and an Orbea although of a reasonable size also has not flowered yet. You didn't say what particular genus you are growing but maybe the reason you have no flowers is just that your plants are not mature enough yet.

Do you mean your plants producing buds which are aborting or you don't even have buds? I read somewhere that buds aborting can be caused by not being given enough water as the buds develop. I water mine every couple of weeks this time of year and feed occasionally (every 2 or 3 waterings).
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

Welcome, Kerstin. I too have a small collection of Stapeliads (and gradually getting smaller!). After that last statement, I think that I am probably not the best person to give authoritative advice. Flowering, as long as the plants themselves are happy, is generally not too difficult for many, once old enough, though I have had some species that have resolutely refused to flower for me. One thing I do find is that flowering often tends to happen quite late in the season (compared to the vast majority of cacti), at least under my general cultivation conditions, and in some cases when I am already reducing the watering in readiness for the winter rest. So, there may still be plenty of time this year to see some flowers on yours!
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!