Caudex plants (for starters) and other caudex questions.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Caudex plants (for starters) and other caudex questions.

Post by BrianMc »

I wouldn't really class Boophane disticha as a caudex, more a bulb above ground, but if you include that I would suggest Tylecodon paniculata for its thick trunk, then in the mesembryanthemaceae Mestoklema tuberous, M.bulbosum and various Trichodiadema - These mesembs have swollen roots so need to be raised when repotting.

Calibanus id a very easy plant as has been suggested, but I wouldn't grow it in a shallow tray or bowl until it had attained a decent size. They like plenty of water during the summer months and encouraging a good root system will give good growth on the caudex. A think a tray will not give a consistent environment for optimum growth.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
phyllonemus
Registered Guest

Post by phyllonemus »

Thanks Brian.
Boophane is already ordered, I'll find it a beautifull architectural plant.
It isn't a real caudex in my opinion too, but still a great plant.

Calibanus will come later.
Riny

Varied collection of succulents but I especially like Euphorbia's, Apocynaceae and Cucurbitaceae.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

phyllonemus wrote:Hello all,
I'm opening this topic because I'm realy interested in Caudex plants and because Im a beginner I have a lot to learn.
This is also an interesting thread to read: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/266/#b
phyllonemus
Registered Guest

Post by phyllonemus »

Aiko wrote: This is also an interesting thread to read: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/266/#b
Looks like a great article, I saved it and gonna read it this afternoon after work, thanks.
Last edited by phyllonemus on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riny

Varied collection of succulents but I especially like Euphorbia's, Apocynaceae and Cucurbitaceae.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

phyllonemus wrote:Thanks Brian.
Boophane is already ordered, I'll find it a beautifull architectural plant.
It isn't a real caudex in my opinion too, but still a great plant.

Don't get me wrong, yes I agree. I have two, a winter grower and a summer grower. The winter grower flowered for the second time this summer - hence my new avatar! :wink:
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
phyllonemus
Registered Guest

Post by phyllonemus »

BrianMc wrote: Don't get me wrong, yes I agree. I have two, a winter grower and a summer grower. The winter grower flowered for the second time this summer - hence my new avatar! :wink:
So I can call you a Boophone expert (tu) :wink: .
I don't know if my ordered Boophone is a summer or winter grower.
It is almost winter now and my plants are coming next tuesday.
Is it easy to see weather it is a summer or winter grower ?
Riny

BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

phyllonemus wrote: So I can call you a Boophone expert (tu) :wink: .
I don't know if my ordered Boophone is a summer or winter grower.
It is almost winter now and my plants are coming next tuesday.
Is it easy to see weather it is a summer or winter grower ?
You can call me that if you wish :lol: I would not call myself that.

I have had my winter grower since 2000 and I haven't killed it! It has now flowered twice.
The summer grower I acquired about 5 years ago - needs to be repotted into a bigger pot. No flower yet.
If your plant is producing new leaves now and has been sourced in the northern hemisphere it is most probably a winter grower.
If its leaves are old or yellowing, again from a northern source it is most probably a summer grower.
Having said that…. on occasions plants will keep their leaves for 18months before finally going dormant - both my plants have done this, once each. In habitat this species is very wide spread and occurs in both summer and winter rainfall areas, so I assume there will be plants that inhabit areas on the fringe of both, which could experience both or either depending on the year.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

heres a ficus palmeri picture to keep you going until your order arrives.
ficus palmeriBL.jpg
What's meant by "pachycaul" ?
more pachycaul than caudiciforms so if you restrict the root area it keeps them more compact with a caudex than allowing them to become more bottle shaped with a trunk

T-B
see which direction the roots are growing in ?
the roots spread very wide along the base of the pan which is only 7-8cm deep. The problem will be if I repot them as I may have to trim/cut the roots to get them into a normal width pot.

Brian
I never said restrict all plants just showing what I had noticed with psedubombax, boophane for me does better in a large planter than individual pots- is this right that it is extremely toxic ?,
My calibanus has a nice large pot which goes out in the garden for the summer- likes lots of water when in growth.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
T_B
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by T_B »

Pachycaul normally means plants with a thickened trunk(like baobabs) whereas caudiciform means an enlarged caudex at the base(sometimes undergound) that the stems grow out of. There's quite a few species that don't clearly fit into one or the other category though.
phyllonemus
Registered Guest

Post by phyllonemus »

The ordered plants are send this morning and will be delivered tomorrow.
I've got the message that the Boophone disticha has rejected his leaves before sending and will be dormant when delivered.

Should I water this plant during the dormancy when it's placed in a living room ?

The Ficus abutilifolia and Fockea edulis are send with leaves.
Riny