oyster shell

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AntonyC
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

oyster shell

Post by AntonyC »

Hi all,
Does anyone out there use crushed oyster shells in there mix or for decoration on their pots? If so are there any advantages/problems they have come across?
Cheers
Antony
Growing anything I can keep alive :-)
Birmingham branch member
steve.smith
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Re: oyster shell

Post by steve.smith »

I buy bags of stuff from my local animal feeds supplier which is called "mixed grit". It is intended to be fed to chickens to improve shell formation in eggs. It contains about 50% crushed oyster/ other shells and 50% fine grit.

I use it to feed my chickens but its main use is as part of my potting mix and for top dressing>.

I have never experienced problems attributable to the shells, but I have no doubt someone out there will come up with a reason not to use them!
Steve Smith

BCSS 50325 Leicestershire

Most Cacti and Succulents esp. Ariocarpus, Copiapoa, Eriosyce and thinking of branching into Asclepiads!
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Like Steve I have used it for chickens and I the potting mix for Mexican plants liking limestone

I would not suggest using it either in the mix or as a top dressing for any that prefer an acidic soil like many south American species
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
gerald
BCSS Member

Post by gerald »

My concern with any shells coming from the sea would be salt contamination.
AntonyC
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by AntonyC »

Thanks for the replies guys
The father in law uses it for his chickens too which was what made me think about using it for my cacti. I have just repotted some lophs and I have a few copiapoa that I'll be doing soon so I will let you know how I get on in 10 years or so lol.
Thought some of the more experienced growers (no disrespect to the guys who have replied meant) may have shared their experiences with us on this topic?
Antony
Growing anything I can keep alive :-)
Birmingham branch member
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

While searching for a replacement for the pink granite that I used to use as I could no longer find any locally I have used one bag of the Jondo mixed poultry grit that contains oyster shells. I have used it as part of my soil mix and for top dressing and so far there has been no adverse reaction from my plants. I have since found a fairly local stockist that sells other grit mixes produced by Jondo so I am now using their flint grits in two sizes hen and chick.
Martin
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Not sure I would use it on copiapoas

But i dont grow many so not sure I best placed to advise

Peter and others are best to comment

I know they do well in a mineral soil but do not think they are like some of he Mexican sp
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

Hi
From what I gathered, oyster shells added to the soli are meant to have the same effect as a gypsum. Could someone please recommend a brand/name/retailer of what (and where) could it be bought?
Smaller quantities are more welcome than 20-25 kg bags as would never use that much in my life :)
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

MaciejW wrote:Could someone please recommend a brand/name/retailer of what (and where) could it be bought?
Smaller quantities are more welcome than 20-25 kg bags as would never use that much in my life
Pets at Home have a 1kg pack for £2.00 http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... lement-1kg
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

gerald wrote:My concern with any shells coming from the sea would be salt contamination.
But there are a lot of shells coming from rivers, so fresh water. I would not be surprised those are the one getting into the market, as they are easier to gather. Rivers get scooped clean every now and then (?) to make room for ships, so they dig up a lot of silt and shells while scooping.