Do you still water your conos?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
claudinski
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Do you still water your conos?

Post by claudinski »

Do you still water your conos? I read they are entering in their dormant phase but I cannot understand which is the right time to end the watering.

Personally in these days I'm trying to water and I think the heads are still capturing the water but till when? This is the problem!

Which kind of signal do you use? Thanks in advance

Claudio
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Do you still water your conos?

Post by ChrisR »

Just time.....most growers have given their conos the last watering by now. When days get longer you know it's time they need to dry their old leaves and let the new ones develop inside.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

The date is usually quite a good indicator when to start or stop watering. Usually better than only keeping an eye on the weather. I gave my winter active plants a last splash last weekend. And they will get some again in late August, some earlier if they really show signs that they are waking up. Around 1 April I always give my summer active plants a good first splash of the season. They get the last one in early September, but just a few of the African succulents.

So I would say, give them a final light splash and keep them dry until the latest bit of the summer.
claudinski
Registered Guest

Post by claudinski »

:lol: I feel honoured of your answers and confirmations! I'm waiting the last splash dry itself! ;-)
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Might get a late reprieve with colder weather this week. A number of winter growers are already looking peaky from the warm nights we've been having. Might mean a last splash for some of the thirstier Conos.
Cheshire, UK