'Moler' v. pumice

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edthegreen
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

'Moler' v. pumice

Post by edthegreen »

I note there was some discussion about this on the forum a couple of years back. Pumice is still rather expensive compared with suitable cat litter. I came across an article by a bonsai grower now using the litter described in this quote by him below:-

"Tescos Low Dust Lightweight cat litter is a 'Moler Clay' and originates from Denmark, exported by a Scandinavian company - Damolin. Moler Clay is a type of Diatomaceous Earth or 'Diatomite'. "Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, as a mild abrasive, as a mechanical insecticide, as an absorbent for liquids, as cat litter, as an activator in blood clotting studies, and as a component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator."
"Freshwater diatomite (Diatomaceous Earth) can be used as a growing medium in hydroponics gardens.
It is also used as a growing medium in potted plants, particularly as bonsai soil. Bonsai enthusiasts use it as a soil additive or pot a bonsai tree in 100% Diatomaceous earth. Like perlite, vermiculite, and expanded clay, it retains water and nutrients while draining fast, allowing high oxygen circulation within the growing medium."
"Its absorbent qualities make it useful for spill clean-up and the U.S. Center for Disease Control recommends it to clean up toxic liquid spills.”“More recently, it has been employed as a primary ingredient in a type of cat litter. The type of silica used in cat litter comes from freshwater sources and does not pose a significant health risk to pets or humans." (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth)"

It seems that some European companies also have products for potting mixes and hydroponics and various other. Has anyone any experience of Diatomaceous clay particles for succulents?

Although the article was about use in bonsai soils and in no way a plug for Tesco's (heaven forbid!), it was very thoroughly researched as to supplies and developments for all uses. You can find it here:-
http://www.bonsai4me.co.uk/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: 'Moler' v. pumice

Post by Phil_SK »

edthegreen wrote:Has anyone any experience of Diatomaceous clay particles for succulents?
Just a bit :wink: http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/search.ph ... ywords=cat
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by CactusFanDan »

Moler (diatomaceous earth) cat litter makes up the majority of my soil mix and I find it works great. :razz: I've started using it in the soil mix for other plants too and they seem to like it. :smile: I know a lot of people on the forums like to use it too.
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I use Seramis which is similar to the Tesco cat stuff but only use it for rooting succulents, mostly Haworthias and Agaves, whilst it is excellent for rooting cuttings, it dries out so quickily that I wouldn't like to use it for normal plants unless mixed with a soli-based JI Compost. Pumice seems to hold its moisture better and I've plants I've bought from Specks etc that were growing well in pumice and I've left them in it.
Stuart
edthegreen
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by edthegreen »

Thanks guys. Seems like I've caught up!

I particularly want to use it for Lithops. I'm growing them in fairly large bowls which I need to move each year, into winter quarters. For one thing, I thought the 'litter' would be a lot lighter than the granite chippings I have been using for drainage as well as in the mix. The other thing....it would dry out nicely when it is supposed to :smile: Off on a hunt and label read I be! Local Garden Centre has pet supplies....Tesco is more of a trip from me.

Happy growing,
Ed.