Sheffield Branch Show May 31 & June 1

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Sheffield Branch Show May 31 & June 1

Post by MikeT »

It's Sheffield Branch 59th Annual Show on Saturday 31 May (12md to 5pm) and Sunday 1 June (10am - 4pm).

The Show is held in Sheffield Botanical Gardens, use the Thompson Road entrance, off Ecclesall Road. Use postcode S11 8RB if using satnav. There is some parking inside for exhibitors. Entrance FREE. So you can save your money for our plants sales.

Staging Friday 4 - 6pm and Saturday 8.30 - 10.30am

I can PM schedule and entry form if anyone is interested. Anyone entering from outside Sheffield (BCSS members only) may remove their plants at the close on Saturday.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
matchat
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Sheffield Branch Show May 31 & June 1

Post by matchat »

I'll bump this as nobody else has. Sheffield show is today and the forecast is dry (fingers crossed). I'm entering a few classes and will be helping out with plant sales. It's a nice day out at the Botanic gardens if you get the chance!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
mark1984
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by mark1984 »

Good luck Mathew, I look forward to seeing your entries!

Getting busy already - hopefully the weather will hold! Mark
Mark Wallace
Sheffield
Interests: Rebutia, Aylostera, Sulcorebutia, Weingartia
Dot
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Dot »

We had a very good two day Show over the weekend with sunny weather especially on the Sunday. It was very nice to see visitors from Bradford, Huddersfield, Hull, Macclesfield and York Branches, Brian and Gill Fearn and the many Sheffielders who came to look at the Show and buy plants.
The Show was very good with super exhibits in both cacti and succulent sections and our judge Ian Robinson led some discussion after the judging on the merits and philosophy of the new Guide to Shows. Thank you Ian.
The Weekend was splendidly organised by Show Secretary Mike who with his wife Christine and much hard work in the background makes sure that the show runs on well oiled wheels.
Mike T, our Treasurer, deals admirably with all the financial side of things and also finds the time to enter lots of plants in the Show as well as bringing many sales plants, which are valuable as they are often of the hard to find varieties.
Paul also enters the Show and brings many interesting plants for sale as well as helping set up the show and being on hand to give advice to members of the public when buying plants.
Simon entered some superb cacti as well as some succulents and seemed to have many of the red Ist prize cards by his exhibits. He was awarded the Ron Ginns Medal for most points in the Show. Simon also helped by printing the posters for the Sheffield Trams and other venues and distributing some of them.
Mathew, our Vice Chairman, did a lot of work in the background and helped with distribution of posters. He also entered several splendid plants which attracted admiring glances from members of the public. Mat brought sales plants too, and some very delicious chocolate chip sponge buns for us all to enjoy. Thank you Mat!!
Jan helped by putting the Show cards out as judging was taking place and I think she enjoyed that as well as her time helping in the sales area, exhibiting plants and winning a first prize and an award in the novice classes.
David helped by acting as Show steward, exhibiting in various classes and encouraging visitors to come to our meetings.
A special thank you must go to Robert, one of our younger members, who was there helping at the beginning and there right through to the end of the Show. Robert entered plants winning some prize cards. He also spent quite a lot of time taking the money and helping on the sales stall. He brought some excellent sales plants, including some lovely pots of Aloe aristata, one of which now has a special place in my greenhouse. Thank you Robert, for your help and support at the Show.
Plant sales went well, with hardly any plants left at the end of the Show. Next year will be our 60th Annual Show, so I hope that we can make this a special occasion.
2016 is the 70th Anniversary year of the Branch so another excuse for a party!

Dot.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Dot wrote:Mat brought ... some very delicious chocolate chip sponge buns for us all to enjoy.
I missed out on those. Any chance there'l be some left over for next weeks meeting?

I achieved a personal record at this year's show. 2 years ago I had one NAS (Sedum suaveolens in the Sedum class instead of Echeveria class), then another last year (Trichocereus chiloensis in the Cereus class instead of the Echinopsis class). I was determined to avoid one this year. Should have known better both previous times. Both plants went into the correct classes this time round.

"I was determined to avoid one this year." I did avoid one. But didn't avoid THREE. All 3 Hatiora entries were disqualified for having more than one plant in each class. Oops. They did have some pretty flowers ... doesn't that constitute grounds for an exception to the rule? Must try harder next year...
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525