Yavia cryptocarpa

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
graham
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Yavia cryptocarpa

Post by graham »

Is it not just an example of fasciation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciation) ? It can have a variety of causes and presumably is the cause of 'cristate' cacti. Insect or chemical damage tends to be suggested as the most common cause with hormone weedkillers often blamed for the effect in gardens.

Presumably that growing 'shoot' will remain as it is but any offsets that are remote should be normal.

graham
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHPORT

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Graham, very interesting link you gave me to read, the elongated flower is very different to the normal shape, I must admit. Thanks
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

Eric Williams wrote:
IMG_2887.JPG
IMG_2885.JPG
Here you go Richaud, Don't know if it will be of help due to its age. LoL. Pic. of old Uebelmainia pect. the stock dissapeared many moons ago and now its on its own roots. Seems to be growing a pup at the apex. Cacti are always full of suprises. Cheers. ps sorry about angle of first picture.

Thank Eric
It's Trichocereus spachianus
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Richaud for the identification, a funny thing is that I have many 2-3 year old seedlings sown for this very reason of trying out some grafting next year. Thanks
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, 2015 update on the above plant. As mentioned by Dave (I think) it seems it has decided to go cristate at 12 years of age LoL. If I can work out how to upload a pic from my Ipad to pc I will do so asap. Cheers
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

IMG_3113.JPG
IMG_3113.JPG (53.77 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
Here you go, my old pc would not talk to my new ipad, so I took a pic. of the pic on the ipad to upload. This is the cause of the bad picture, but I think you can see difference from last years pic. and todays. The yellow speck is a reflection Cheers
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

I assume this was one from the BCSS distribution based on the label, I still have 3 of them going also on the original grafts but they all look a bit bloated and none have flowered as |I have mentioned before

This spring I decided I needed to take some cuttings and get a spare going for each one so I removed an offset and re grafted them about 2 weeks ago, not sure if they have taken yet still awaiting new growth on them.

Have you tried taking any offsets off and rooting them
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Martin, yes you are correct, it was the BCSS issue years ago. I think the number 3 on label may well be different clone numbers. I have no offsets on my plant yet, and due to it going cristate I do not think I may have any in the future. At the time I could only afford the one, but I am well pleased at the out come. May I as what stock you used for the grafts ? Cheers
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I flowered my BCSS one Martin second year after receiving it. It apparently formed sterile fruit as it was not pollinated but then did a "Mammillaria luethyi" on me and just shrivelled up on the graft for no reason, even though the stock was still healthy.
Yavia cryptocarpa.jpg
Yavia-Fruit.jpg
I have to find another one now. Maybe they do better. as with Mammillaria luethyi, on their own roots?
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Eric

I had some 4-5 inch Harrisia jusbertii rooted cuttings sitting around so used them cut down to about 2 inches so I had enough to re root and not too much to overly bloat the scion

I have 3 from the original distribution left all still on the original stocks, 2 growing and covered in offsets and one just about surviving, none have ever flowered and I lost 2 as I originally bought 5 which if I recall was one of each clone made available

Will take some pictures and post at the weekend.

If these work then I will try and get a few more going and also try to root a few
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection