Gasteria ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ivan
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Gasteria ID

Post by Ivan »

These (I have a few) are about a year old. Anybody venture to guess what species they might be?
Gasteria sp..jpg
Edit: I apologize but I uploaded the incorrect image. This is the correct one. The other picture was Haworthia sordida.
Last edited by Ivan on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Gasteria ID

Post by StevenT »

Are they a batch of seedings Ivan? If so, do you know if the seed was from controlled pollination between two clones of a species? As gasterias are only very rarely self fertile it is all too easy to end up with hybrids.

Also gasterias need a few years before they show adult characteristics. Quite a lot of gasteria 'species' turned out to have been described from juvenile plants.
Steve
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Ivan, this might be a plant from seeds you received from me? If so, it is definately a hybrid. I never pollinate my Gasterias.
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

StevenT wrote:Are they a batch of seedings Ivan? ....
Steven, I grew these from seed started January 28, 2014. Sorry for the incorrect picture... No wonder I had a heck of a time trying to find a Gasteria the looks like a Haworthia. :lol:
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

Aiko wrote:Ivan, this might be a plant from seeds you received from me? If so, it is definately a hybrid. I never pollinate my Gasterias.
Yes Aiko. I got both of these seeds from you last year. The only label on the seed pack was Gasteria sp. so I assumed you didn't know the species. I figured I would wait till I had a few seedlings before trying to identify it. I am now thinking that it might be Gasteria bicolor. Perhaps later I may narrow down the variety. Any other suggestions, anyone?

Hopefully I have it right now. :grin:
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Ivan wrote:Edit: I apologize but I uploaded the incorrect image. This is the correct one. The other picture was Haworthia sordida.
Also seeds you obtained from me, by any chance?
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

Aiko wrote:Also seeds you obtained from me, by any chance?
Yes, both were obtained from you. I have had excellent results from all the seeds I got from you.
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

Hi Ivan
As Aiko has advised they are hybrids they can't be a species so I would label each of them as 'Gasteria hybrid'. Feed them well and keep track of them individually and you might find they turn out to be unusual - or, as is often the case not! but that is part of the fun of raising hybrids. :smile:

Steve

P.S. Thanks for the update of the image - I was a bit worried! :lol:
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

One of the 6 plants flowered and this what it looks like today, just over 5 years later. There is quite a leaf colour variance between the 6 plants I have. It will be interesting to see if the flower will be different.
gasteria.jpg
flower.jpg