Germination failures - any advice?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Dot
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Germination failures - any advice?

Post by Dot »

I note that you use sterilised compost and wondered about the compost itself.
Is it your usual compost and did you do anything different with it?.

It is unusual to have many seed "no shows" like this, compost and seeds are the main concern here, I wonder if it is worth looking at compost rather than seeds as a problem?

Dot.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mike »

Hi Dot, I'm using the same seed sowing compost I've used pretty successfully for a few years. It's 2 parts JI No.2, 1 part cat litter, 1 part grit, all pre-sieved.
Tina, interesting what you say about Pachypodium seed, although I've had success this year with several other Pachypodium species using my normal method. I'm beginning to think I just paid for and sowed an unlucky percentage ofpoor quality seed. :cry:
Mind you I've just potted up an Erythrina zeyheri I sowed in January into a five inch pot. It's going like a rocket!
Mike
Last edited by Mike on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

My indoor tomatoes, aubergines, sage, quinoa etc. are not coming up despite being in a warm spot.

Could it be that they somehow just know that spring is late?

Patience.... I have had seeds decide to pop up over a year late! They just want to make sure I appreciate it when they do pop. :lol:
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.