watering and death

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
TS Hakansson
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

watering and death

Post by TS Hakansson »

I watered for the first time this year today (here in Sweden) and most plants looked fine, a few mammillarias,thelocacti and Isome others flowering, and lot of buds on sulcos, BUT all of my echinocacti and other odds and ends have died this winter.
It has been a milder winter than normal,the plants were placed at their normal places (where they´ve been standing for several winters) and the greenhouse has been bone dry,a mystery really. More than a hundred plants and that is not normal. Any others having this kind of problem this winter?
Growing mostly globular,smallgrowing cacti north of Stockholm
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: watering and death

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Sorry to hear this, was it rot, fungus, or were they dry husks, and so many seems to be unusual.
I did have a fungus attack on Tephrocactus and Austrocylindropuntia 15 months ago during the previous winter which seemed to come from nowhere,which I managed to clear up and this winter did not recur .

Ray
Last edited by RAYWOODBRIDGE on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I've had only a couple of fatalities over the winter, out of about 200 plants. Have yours rotted or become dried out husks? Is your greenhouse heated at all over winter? I've come to the conclusion that winter deaths sometimes just happen without any obvious reason. In some cases the plant just gets too old to survive (some species are short lived); in others the last autumn watering may have coincided with a cold spell resulting in damp roots all winter. If you've lost a lot of plants I would imagine there is a common cause of this.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

A dreadful occurrence. My immediate reaction was that it was a batch of contaminated compost. That's happened before. However, of course, it is probable that other species would have died.

Strange that it's primarily Echinocacti, which I find to be robust. It must be down to late watering. My experience is that Echinocacti prefer a soil compost. Anything with peat or similar in it would retain late watering for too long in a fairly cold greenhouse. I'd like to see the roots of these plants.
Torbjorn
BCSS Member

Post by Torbjorn »

Hej,
Sorry Thord! Strange to lose Echinocerei in the winter. I lose them outdoors in a wet summer.
Bad compost is an interesting idea, but I think Thord as I do uses fresh, allmost completely mineral substrate?
My winter losses, beeing also in the Stockholm area, Sweden, is also this year, I think, due to too high temperature in my winter storage room. Species like Sulco, Frailea, some Rebutia just dries up.
Again sorry for you losses...soon time for the Scandinavian plant race to Germany, and Holland.
Torbjörn
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Torbjorn wrote:Hej,
Sorry Thord! Strange to lose Echinocerei in the winter
Thord's post mentioned Echinocacti, not Echinocerei, I think. :wink:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Torbjorn
BCSS Member

Post by Torbjorn »

rodsmith wrote:
Torbjorn wrote:Hej,
Sorry Thord! Strange to lose Echinocerei in the winter
Thord's post mentioned Echinocacti, not Echinocerei, I think. :wink:
I just met Thord in person, and had this pointed out to me. I my opinion all the worse to lose Echinocacti.
Sorry for the confusion...
Torbjörn.
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden
graham
BCSS Member

Post by graham »

The other question(s) to ask is how are the deaths physically distributed ? Are all of the affected plants in the same area and have other genera/species nearby shown any effects whatsoever ?

graham
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

graham wrote:The other question(s) to ask is how are the deaths physically distributed ? Are all of the affected plants in the same area and have other genera/species nearby shown any effects whatsoever ?

graham
I'd look at this too. I once had a tray full of Sulcos and Acanthocalycium in my greenhouse that I found filled to the brim with water one day in February. I still don't know exactly how the water got in, but clearly there was a leak somewhere. No nearby trays were affected. Suffice to say not many of the plants survived.

It could also be a case of too late watering last autumn of course, or possibly a period of very high humidity in the greenhouse?

A shame about all the plants though!
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Hello Thord,

I am sorry to hear you have lost so many plants all at once. What percentage of your collection were they?

I hope all the others are healthy and enjoying their first drink. :gl:
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.