Nameing new plants/species

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Nameing new plants/species

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, at a great zone 9 convention on Sun.I had the following thought. An esteemed speaker mentioned that after finding a new plant it was named with regard to location etc or even after some notable cactus grower. Sometimes the plant was discovered in dangerous localities and at great physical endurance to the finder. So why is it not named after the finder. Are there any botanical or other reasons why .Thanks
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Nameing new plants/species

Post by Stuart »

Yes, excellent day at Gloucester on Sunday, I think plants can be named after the finder but it depends who is naming the plant. Plants named for people are normally named by others rather than by the finder themselves. i.e. Matucana Hoxeyi was named for the finder but not by the finder, not sure if there is an unwritten rule for this or if it is modesty that stops the person that finds a new species from naming it after themselves.
Stuart
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Stuart wrote:Yes, excellent day at Gloucester on Sunday, I think plants can be named after the finder but it depends who is naming the plant. Plants named for people are normally named by others rather than by the finder themselves. i.e. Matucana Hoxeyi was named for the finder but not by the finder, not sure if there is an unwritten rule for this or if it is modesty that stops the person that finds a new species from naming it after themselves.
Stuart
I don't think there is anything in the current International Code of Nomenclature (for algae, fungi, and plants) that says you cannot name a species after yourself. But to avoid vanity (?!) the custom is for someone else to name the plant in your honour.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Although there have been examples of 'reciprocal naming' - Haworthia and Duvalia as an example, plus the tale of Andrew Carnegie being somewhat underwhelmed when he saw the plant named for him, is there anyone who has named a species after themselves.
Stuart
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

Stuart wrote:Although there have been examples of 'reciprocal naming' - Haworthia and Duvalia as an example, plus the tale of Andrew Carnegie being somewhat underwhelmed when he saw the plant named for him, is there anyone who has named a species after themselves.
Stuart
How on earth could Carnegie be underwhelmed by having the Saguaro named after him? :shock:
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

KarlR wrote:How on earth could Carnegie be underwhelmed by having the Saguaro named after him? :shock:
Maybe he likes to trade with mister Blossfeld...
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

From an account I read of the occasion Carnegie was underwhelmed when he found out the plant was not a new discovery (hardly would have previously been overlooked at that size and visibility) but simply a transfer from Cereus to the new genus Carnegia by Britton & Rose, thereupon immediately lost all interest in it:-

Cereus giganteus Engelmann, Amer. J. Sci. Arts, ser. 2, 14: 336. 1852; Pilocereus giganteus (Engelmann) Rümpler: Carnegiea gigantea (Engelmann) Britton & Rose, J. New York Bot. Gard. 9: 188. 1908.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

Alfred lau managed to get a lot of things named after himself when it was 'the young boys he was careing for' who did all the work.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

The church at work Lithos, god moves in mysterious ways! :grin:
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

Try explaining that to the boys :shock: