Dorstenia Gigas Worry?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
PhilW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Dorstenia Gigas Worry?

Post by PhilW »

Hey everyone, just wondered if mu Dorstenia Gigas is getting ready for its dormant period, as I don't know when they go into and come out of dormancy properly - as you see in the pic the leaves over 2/3 days have gone from a lush lovely deep green to this bronze/yellow colour.

Is it something to worry about or not as I don't want to lose it to rot as the soil is still quite wet, so wasn't sure if it needs repotting into say a dry coir and grit mix?

Advice appreciated (tu)

Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Dorstenia Gigas Worry?

Post by Stuart »

As far as I know, they have the same Spring-Summer growing time as cacti, I've usually lost them due to winter cold. There have been some good green leaved plants at shows recently so I would have thought it is early for the leaves to drop. It's hard to overwater in a clay pot - any sign of red spider?
Stuart
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

Stuart wrote:As far as I know, they have the same Spring-Summer growing time as cacti, I've usually lost them due to winter cold. There have been some good green leaved plants at shows recently so I would have thought it is early for the leaves to drop. It's hard to overwater in a clay pot - any sign of red spider?
Stuart
Hi Stuart not seen any nasties no, just debating wether it need Re potting in dry coir and grit?
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

decided to repot into coir/grit, didn't look happy to me.

Gave it a spray down with provado just in case any nasties were lurking I couldn't see and as you can see in picture the root system isn't that good. Fingers crossed it pics up from now?

Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

NO- do not disturb it again, bring it in somewhere warm, you will kill it keep disturbing what roots in has managed to grow , it's only a baby.
Three of mine are already changing colour, dropping leaves & two are still vibrant green, it depends on the growing condition & individual plant.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

Tina wrote:NO- do not disturb it again, bring it in somewhere warm, you will kill it keep disturbing what roots in has managed to grow , it's only a baby.
Three of mine are already changing colour, dropping leaves & two are still vibrant green, it depends on the growing condition & individual plant.
Oh blimey what have I done...noooo. Shall I bring it indoors on a windowsill instead of outside in the mini greenhouse?
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Mine went dormant a couple of months ago and now seems to be coming into growth??????
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

Nick_G wrote:Mine went dormant a couple of months ago and now seems to be coming into growth??????
Mine was a lovely deep green colour upto a few or so days ago before going like this so was happy upto then I guess, so just wondering if the temp drop of late has caused this?
MartinDK
Registered Guest

Post by MartinDK »

Phil, do I see some mushy rotting root tips, or am I mistaken? I hope it is fine! Warm its feet. Dortenia gigas should be kept at minimum 15 C.
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

MartinDK wrote:Phil, do I see some mushy rotting root tips, or am I mistaken? I hope it is fine! Warm its feet. Dortenia gigas should be kept at minimum 15 C.
No pal roots feel ok and plant inc the Base is pretty solid. If I had my grow tent bought and rigged up it would be in there, but for now it's inside and feels quite solid right now