Red Spider Mite - - - Help and advice!!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
lazy_dog
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Red Spider Mite - - - Help and advice!!

Post by lazy_dog »

Hi All,

I have two 8x12ft greenhouses full of cactus and have an outbreak of the dreaded RSM in both...

So far, I have perhaps two dozen cacti that have been particularly decimated (mature and young) by RSM. I have removed and isolated them from the greenhouses but there are many others that are showing signs of infection.

I have been trawling the internet and this forum for a solution but with mixed results...

Among the most effective treatments I have been recommended is to use either 'Avid' or 'Floramite'. Does anyone have any experience using one or both of these - has it been effective?

Can anyone recommend any other treatments? Any help would be hugely appreciated!! I'm anxious to deal with this before any more of the plants are affected...

Thanks in advance, and be assured, I have all necessary safety precautions covered - breathing apparatus/overalls etc.

Thanks!!!
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Red Spider Mite - - - Help and advice!!

Post by Phil_SK »

I've used Savona soap very successfully to treat what I think are false spider mites (I've had red spider mites on leafy houseplants but never on cacti; I see damage to plants but never any webbing. Not that it really matters.) It's now become really expensive and when it runs out I won't buy it again. Very dilute washing up liquid should work just as well. Savona says to use 20ml/litre but I've found this causes black blisters in very 'green' cacti such as trichocerei. I'd start of with something like a teaspoon of Fairy in a gallon at most.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Terry S.

Re: Red Spider Mite - - - Help and advice!!

Post by Terry S. »

There does not seem to be any chemical control on the UK amateur market that will control red spider mite. My approach these days is to regularly spray the collection during the summer months with SB Plant Invigorator. It is another surfactant-type product that kills most mini-pests by physical rather than chemical action. The downside is that it works by contact only and therefore you need to spray the plants thoroughly. Furthermore it only kills adults and therefore you have to spray again after a couple of weeks to kill the new hatchlings. However, I know a number of growers who have found this treatment to be effective. The product is not cheap, but neither are those overpriced plants that some of us buy on Ebay.