Hello From Surrey

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
jankol
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hello From Surrey

Post by jankol »

Yet another agave fan here. I have been interested in them for about 25 years now and have built up quite a varied collection. In the early days there was precious little info on the internet,so I started an agave website which has steadily expanded over the years. Of course nowadays the internet is full of succulent info and pictures. For anyone interested http://www.agavepages.co.uk
The website had enabled me to establish contact with many of the top agave people in Belgium, Germany and Holland plus a few in the USA. My initial inspiration in the UK ,at a time when few were interested in agaves, was Derek Bowdery, who was virtually alone in showing interest in and giving talks about these fascinating plants.
I am also interested in growing agaves (plus other succulents and cacti) outdoors, some with and a lot without winter protection. My pride and joy ( my wife does not share this opinion) is a virtually full size agave salmiana v. salmiana , planted as a small offset in about 1990. It has survived all this time without any protection. My wife is constantly looking for any signs of flowering but so far all she sees is yet another new leaf appearing. I like most tropical plants but I do have a soft spot for columnar cacti and have a modest collection of them.
Debbie
Registered Guest
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hello From Surrey

Post by Debbie »

Hallo ..I ,ve just been looking at your Agave website....great photos ! :grin: I ,ve just been fixing up thermal foil in my greenhouse , to help reflect in more light through the winter ..as well as keep the chill off .We,ve been having an "Indian Summer " here in Cornwall , but I think that all ends tonight . Have you had any frost yet up there in Surrey ? Debbie
jankol
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Hello From Surrey

Post by jankol »

Debbie wrote:Hallo ..I ,ve just been looking at your Agave website....great photos ! :grin: I ,ve just been fixing up thermal foil in my greenhouse , to help reflect in more light through the winter ..as well as keep the chill off .We,ve been having an "Indian Summer " here in Cornwall , but I think that all ends tonight . Have you had any frost yet up there in Surrey ? Debbie
Hi Debbie,
No frosts yet, the lowest temp in my greenhouse has been 5.5 Celsius. Hopefully all the plants are fairly dry now with no water for about a month and some warm,sunny days. The outdoor plants are fine at present but when the temperature really drops I'll need to watch them and look for any signs of rot. Agave bracteosa seems to be consistently the best agave performer and the oreocerei,trichocerei and soehrensias do well on the cactus side.