Schlumbergera

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
PhilW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: Schlumbergera

Post by PhilW »

Cracking plants - I kick started own collection off recently with a few via ebay :) but love your brasil ones (white/pink and reddish one) as well as the golden sun one, lovely striking flowers :-)
uzbeck
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by uzbeck »

Jane,

If you can get hold of a copy of 'Chistmas Cacti' by McMillan & Horobin this may give you the answers you are looking for. They provide a key to Schlumbergera species and inter-specific hybrids. Keith's Books have a couple of used copies for sale.

McMillan & Horobin describe hybrid groups and one - the Schlumbergera Truncata group are probably the ones you see in Wilkos etc. they also point out that in the late 1980s ONE Dutch nursery produced 2million plants from single stem cuttings!

'Christmas Cacti' is a bit dated and probably won't show any hybrids after late 1980s. EPRIC sell a directory that is probably a bit more up to date. I don't know what detail it gives but I doubt it has any photographs.

If Carl picks up on this thread he may be able to add something more sensible.

Peter
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

uzbeck wrote: McMillan & Horobin describe hybrid groups and one - the Schlumbergera Truncata group are probably the ones you see in Wilkos etc. they also point out that in the late 1980s ONE Dutch nursery produced 2million plants from single stem cuttings!
That's a lot of plants!
I'm not really bothered about an ID for this one, just pleased I managed to save it from a very poorly looking plant - and the white flower is a chnage from so many pink or red ones.
Attachments
Wilko Schlumbergera
Wilko Schlumbergera
Wilko-Schlumbergera.JPG (38.03 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Peter,
I did a bit more research! It's all about the leaves (phylloclades)! More rounded on Christmas and pointed on Thanksgiving!
Christmas flowers hang downwards and the anthers should be purple/brown. Thanksgiving flower in same direction, have yellow anthers. Trying to compare mine - I have no idea! I would say the Christmas cactus has thicker, less flexible leaves and a lot less buds versus the shop bought (Lidl) Thanksgiving ones! The readily available sort would seem to me to be Thanksgiving. Not sure this helps! As far as I am concerned, enjoy them whilst they are flowering! One other so called requirement is 14 hours of darkness to bring them into flower! Car headlamps and street lamps which interrupt the night, will result in bud drop! Gee - do we ever get 14 hours of complete darkness.....Jane