ladies versus Men  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Sylv
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ladies versus Men

Post by Sylv »

Hmmmm are there female hobbies and mens hobbies still ? Ladies plants ? Oh dear I thought we had progressed a little further now that we have made it to 2015.

What has made me curious is the question.Why would Cacti be thought of as more of a mans plant ? Is it because of the nasty spikes that may hurt our delicate hands? Or another reason I have not fathomed as of yet ?

Maybe us ladies need to start recruiting,if we have time between cooking,cleaning,shopping,knitting,sewing and ironing and all the rest that goes with being a lady.

Sylv.
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Keith L »

Oh Rene! I know you like to be controversial, but I think you have perhaps misjudged this topic and might alienate some of those who you would like to encourage! From someone who for a great many years has done his share of the cooking,cleaning,shopping,(ok not knitting),sewing and ironing and all the rest that goes with being a modern man!

In peace between the sexes - and the rest of the world.

Keith
srboisvert
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by srboisvert »

Pretty much all of the plants that have been given to me as a gift or spare plants etc came from male members ...
Ouch!
Stephen Boisvert
Chicago, USA
My Plant Photos on Flickr
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

This seems a ridiculous thread but to stop speculative comments based on lack of information I can tell you that of our members who have a gender specific title (Miss, Mrs, Ms) only 26% are female, 74% are male. All titles that can refer to either eg. Dr have been excluded.
I do not intend to get into the merits or demerits of either as our Society is totally inclusive and does not differentiate. We only keep titles for politeness of addressing correspondence.
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
JoZoo
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by JoZoo »

At our branch there are a few couples that come together but mainly I have found the hobby is male dominated. Not sure why that would be as I love everything about cactus and feel really lucky that David does too so we can share our excitement, not so happy about sharing the green house but once we have figured out who's plants are who's I'm sure it will all be fine :)
Maintain National collections of Copiapoa, Matucana and Turbinicarpus for Chester Zoo
Personal favorites Ferocactus, Astrophytums or anything with a purple or pink colour.
TheEconomist
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by TheEconomist »

Hmm... and I thought the thread started off so innocently
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
David