Hi from Withernsea East Yorkshire

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
thepipeman
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hi from Withernsea East Yorkshire

Post by thepipeman »

I have just joined I don't have any knowledge of Cacti and Succulents a complete newbie I have always been a keen gardener but ill health has restricted me on what I can do nowadays and thought I quite fancy trying Cacti.I am hoping to attend the Hull Cacti groups next meeting all being well I received a very nice phone call inviting me to attend so looking forward to that. Could anyone recommend a book that covers the real basics and for getting started with Cacti please. I know there is lots of information on the web but I still like to hold and read a book.
Thank you
Roy
fruit
BCSS Member

Re: Hi from Withernsea East Yorkshire

Post by fruit »

I can't recommnend any books as another new to C&S but I bought a pile of interesting titles from WorldOfBooks - at very reasonable prices.
(I have no connection with them, they sell via ebay and I believe their stock comes from books that are on the way to landfill - where many book donations to charity shops end up, sadly :( )
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum thepipeman, there will be plenty to interest you here and I'm sure you will soon learn from others at your cactus club. I quite agree about having a book to hold; a good basic one is by John Pilbeam and is called 'How to care for your Cacti', there is a similar volume about succulents. They are about 30 years old now, but I'm sure that second hand copies are still available. There may be others, but you will find that any book by John is a good starting point. Good luck.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
thepipeman
Registered Guest

Post by thepipeman »

Thank you for your replies and advice I have seen a few on ebay so that will be my starting point,i am also looking forward to attending the Hull meeting and getting some help there too.
Thanks again
Roy