Steven Hammer's Mesembs book series

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Steven Hammer's Mesembs book series

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:I recently sent a question to the Little Sphaeroid Press about coming volumes of the book series. Have not received an answer yet.
I heard back from the Little Sphaeroid Press:
You are not the only one wondering when the next book will arrive. Well, I can tell you that we have the photography done, some artwork prepared, but so far, no text! If the author isn’t writing, there is no book. Unfortunately, I don’t have any control over this. I suspect money may lubricate the chains, but I have not asked for any major donations for this project. Perhaps I will work on that later this week. It needs to happen.

Meanwhile, I’m headed to South Africa to do some more photography for the book.
So things might still happen, but not as smoothly as was anticipated a few years ago.
David1971
Registered Guest

Post by David1971 »

So if Steve Hammer isn't motivated enough, the book will never see the light of day. Hopefully, the editors will find a way to unblock the situation.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Maybe there is text, but just haven't been submitted yet. Too busy, or still working on a section, maybe?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Anyone with some more news on the book series? Will it ever become a series of more than one title?
Mafate79
Registered Guest

Post by Mafate79 »

I was wondering the same thing Aiko... Does anybody know which genus will be concerned?
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Mafate79 wrote:I was wondering the same thing Aiko... Does anybody know which genus will be concerned?

The planned series is shown on this page http://www.littlesphaeroid.com/about_mesemb_series.html but the 18 month schedule seems to have slipped a bit! Perhaps the first book was not the financial success they hoped for.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

SH tells me he'd like four clear months to write what he wants to but is so busy with plant sales and visitors he hasn't the time. Maybe the series was a good idea in theory but makes no money, or even worse, costs them to produce.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Mafate79
Registered Guest

Post by Mafate79 »

Hello all,

Thank you Jim and Chris for your answers.
ChrisR wrote:Maybe the series was a good idea in theory but makes no money, or even worse, costs them to produce.
So maybe the second volume of the series will never see the light of day? :???:
David1971
Registered Guest

Post by David1971 »

Does anyone have news on this project? Thanks in advance
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I've had the good fortune to visit Steven recently and there is no sign of another book in this proposed series being a priority. Editor Russell Wagner is gainfully employed elsewhere now, although still accumulating photographs. Any new publication will be well publicised in advance of course, so there is little point in asking about the progress of dreams.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble