Pest control

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
juster
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Pest control

Post by juster »

Gary, thanks very much for the information about that vine weevil killer; it looks very hopeful so I shall give it a try. Liz, I'll be interested to know how you get on with biological control in your outside pots.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I tried the Bug Clear Ultra and that was the year I got root mealies. It may be a coincidence or they may have been lurking for years, but it certainly didn't kill them all as I would expect from Provado. On the plus side, it is labelled as effective against spider mites.
Cheshire, UK
Mal H
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Mal H »

Eric - this year I tried neem oil as a preventive measure against mites out of despair at other treatment failures.
I did not want oil/detergent emulsion on my plants after past damage, so I used it as a soil drench.

So far so good......

Anyone else using neem as a soil drench?
Wirral (Chester and District branch) - Collection mostly South American cacti.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

I have been using the Bug Clear Ulta this year, I have not noticed that it is any less effective but have noticedthat it is more expensive than Pravdo requiring 60ml to a L (? dilution that was off the top of my head) of water the little bottle does not go far.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
madpenguin
Registered Guest
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT

Post by madpenguin »

Mal H wrote:Eric - this year I tried neem oil as a preventive measure against mites out of despair at other treatment failures.
I did not want oil/detergent emulsion on my plants after past damage, so I used it as a soil drench.

So far so good......

Anyone else using neem as a soil drench?
I think I might try it as a soil drench.Apparently neem oil can work as a systemic when used this way.I have also read that the smell can be a deterrent as well.
http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-insecticide.html
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.”
madpenguin
Registered Guest
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT

Post by madpenguin »

Just wondering how I would actually apply a soil drench.
Is it simply standing pots in the solution until the soil is 'drenched' or just watering in?
I assume the first option is best and with clay pots the neem oil would penetrate that and maybe kill bugs living on the underside.
How would you do it?
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.”
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

I have bought some of the Bug Clear Ultra now and Keith I quite agree, at a dilution of 60 ml to 1 litre, it is likely to be an expensive option. I just hope it is effective!
Madpenguin, I prefer to give insecticides as a drench as there is no risk of marking the plants. I have always just watered it in, this certainly worked fine with Provado VW killer and with stronger systemics in the past.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias