Haageocereous pacalaensis - care?  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
billclark
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHESTER & District

Haageocereous pacalaensis - care?

Post by billclark »

I am fairly new to Cacti collecting and am now hooked! Quite recently I was very pleased to be given a quite large Cacti by a local collector - a Haageocereous pacalaensis. (I have emailed him for advice but he is a very busy man and I don't like to chase) It has definitely out grown its pot and I need to re-pot to give it some stability! I have tried googling many times to find some info re optimum growing conditions so I can try to simulate and what it needs! I have found the species on line but very little facts - only that it originates in Peru and grows quite tall in its natural environment - then falls over!

If anyone can advise me of a suitable potting mix or where I can find more information that would be great.

Regards, Bill
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Haageocereous pacalaensis - care?

Post by iann »

Is this one of the ones that grows along the ground? The synonym H. repens suggests it.
Cheshire, UK
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Haageocereous pacalaensis - care?  Solved

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Bill
I grow it in full sun on a top shelf, and keep it fairly dry, only giving it a really good soak when I know it has been bone dry for a week or so.
My two are only 3-4 year old seedlings I bought from Phil so they are still upright and golden in colour.
Like most Haageocereus the spines turn black or grey as the stem grows, then it lowers itself down to grow along the surface of the soil at which point other stems grow upright from the base.
Only the tips of the stems and new shoots stay bright while the rest of the plant looks dead, some people love this effect some hate it and bin the plant. I,m the former.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Spro
BCSS Member

Post by Spro »

Strangely enough a local collector gave me a large plant of the same . I've planted it and used support sticks until it forms strong roots
Everything under the sun is in tune but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
billclark
BCSS Member

Post by billclark »

RAYWOODBRIDGE wrote:Hi Bill
I grow it in full sun on a top shelf, and keep it fairly dry, only giving it a really good soak when I know it has been bone dry for a week or so.
My two are only 3-4 year old seedlings I bought from Phil so they are still upright and golden in colour.
Like most Haageocereus the spines turn black or grey as the stem grows, then it lowers itself down to grow along the surface of the soil at which point other stems grow upright from the base.
Only the tips of the stems and new shoots stay bright while the rest of the plant looks dead, some people love this effect some hate it and bin the plant. I,m the former.
Hi Ray - thanks very much for responding and the feedback/info will be useful as I (hopefully) watch and help it grow. Can you advise the type of soil mix that you use please. Have you found any internet sites where I can find further info on this species?

regards, Bill
billclark
BCSS Member

Post by billclark »

iann wrote:Is this one of the ones that grows along the ground? The synonym H. repens suggests it.
Hi Ian - from what Ray said - it is! I will probably stake mine upright as it will take up less room that way. I am still trying to fond more info - in particular about the type of soil mix it prefers...
billclark
BCSS Member

Post by billclark »

Spro wrote:Strangely enough a local collector gave me a large plant of the same . I've planted it and used support sticks until it forms strong roots

Hi `Spro' - as you said you planted it what soil mix did you use please? I intend staking mine too...
Spro
BCSS Member

Post by Spro »

Soil I used was equal mix of cacti soil and perlite with a hand full of small gravel per mix. I've not had a problem with this mix have tried more elaborate mixes but now like to keep it simple
Last edited by Spro on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything under the sun is in tune but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Bill
the soil mix I use for all ceroids is;
2 parts loam, 1 part peat, 1 part sharp sand, 1 part 5mm grit, 1 part perlite, 1 part 5mm crushed brick, the last part can be replaced with Tesco cat litter if you prefer.
websites with info;
cactiguide.com is good and has a forum as well, you will see quite a few from this forum on there as well.
when you go to the home page look top right for " sources " click, then on the next screen look for " websites " in blue click ( upper central ) and out of that list ( which you can take your time going through ) cactus mall is very good.
Three other sites you will find of interest are;
cactuspro.com
cactus-art.biz
desert-tropicals.com
all these sites take a while to learn your way around but are very useful for all types of info.

good luck.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
billclark
BCSS Member

Post by billclark »

2 parts loam, 1 part peat, 1 part sharp sand, 1 part 5mm grit, 1 part perlite, 1 part 5mm crushed brick, the last part can be replaced with Tesco cat litter if you prefer.
websites with info;
cactiguide.com is good and has a forum as well, you will see quite a few from this forum on there as well.
when you go to the home page look top right for " sources " click, then on the next screen look for " websites " in blue click ( upper central ) and out of that list ( which you can take your time going through ) cactus mall is very good.
cactuspro.com
cactus-art.biz
desert-tropicals.com
all these sites take a while to learn your way around but are very useful for all types of info.

good luck.
websites with info;
cactuspro.com
cactus-art.biz
desert-tropicals.com

good luck.
Hi Ray - thanks for taking the time to provide a comprehensive reply and such useful information. I will check out the cactiguide.com and websites you mentioned too!