Cornish grit

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cornish grit

Post by FaeLLe »

Westland Potting Grit works great for me!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Rather round grains, and definitely not lime free unfortunately . Which is an issue for some of the plants I grow such as proteas
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Ali Baba wrote:Rather round grains, and definitely not lime free unfortunately . Which is an issue for some of the plants I grow such as proteas
I guess you mean the Westland potting mix has like in it? I wash it very well because I can't stand the dirt in any grit, won't that take care of any lime?
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Last time I tested a sample it had small amounts of limestone grit in it. Washing won't remove them of course.
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

Westland potting grit is too fine for cactus usage. If you have some and need to get rid of it I would suggest that you use one part of Westland to three parts of a 3mm grit in your compost.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Peter wrote:Westland potting grit is too fine for cactus usage. If you have some and need to get rid of it I would suggest that you use one part of Westland to three parts of a 3mm grit in your compost.
The Westland grit I have is around 2 MM , is that too fine?
It was recommended to me by a person who is one of the judges at the BCSS national show (hey use for their plants too)... Not killed any yet!

Where do you folks usually order your grit from? Sorry to hijack this thread.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

I use this: http://www.stones4homes.co.uk/gravels-a ... grit-2-6mm
Buying a tonne and having it delivered from Yorkshire is much cheaper than buying something similar in Kent.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Tony R wrote:I use this: http://www.stones4homes.co.uk/gravels-a ... grit-2-6mm
Buying a tonne and having it delivered from Yorkshire is much cheaper than buying something similar in Kent.
Thanks for sharing your source!

Tony I can come grab a bag off you from yours if you let me buy some off that bulk quantity :razz:
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Mostly quartzite grit round here. No granite locally that I know of. I see the odd bag with some flint in it, usually the yellow coloured stone.
Cheshire, UK