Succulents today

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Succulents today

Post by Liz M »

In spite of the days growing so short and the cold really striking now, it is good to see plants still looking good. I don't know what they will look like in spring, I fear we are overdue for a really cold, long winter.
IMG_9898.1.jpg
Echeveria 'Mahogany Rose', a plant that just grew and grew. In the end I had to cut about 20cms of stem off. This was late August/early September, it re-rooted well and it has not stopped it flowering.
IMG_9895.1.jpg
Graptoveria 'Douglas Huth' showing great colour.
IMG_9894.1.jpg
Aeonium 'Kew Marble', I noticed it today and thought it worth a picture for the colour alone
IMG_9893.1.jpg
Sedum suaveolens, always a beautiful plant.
IMG_9891.1.jpg
Pachyphytum oviferum
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Succulents today

Post by StevenT »

Great plants Liz! It's a real treat to see them. (tu)
Many thanks.

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

I think these plants are lovely, and perhaps due a resurgence in interest. Over thirty years ago I saw Jack Browns (long departed) huge collection of Echeveria. In a large collapsing greenhouse, that had never been heated. The vast majority were almost Caudiciform, as he de capitated them every autumn. He believied the stumps were hardier than the 'leaves'. Oh for digital cameras then, they all had pencil labels, with hybrid crosses, keppels, and field numbers, sometimes, you just don't realise what you are seeing
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Are these still outside!
Stuart
Liz M
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

No way! I took the photos outside as it was a warmish day and not raining, the light was better outside. These have been inside the greenhouse for several weeks now. I have got some outside but even those are under my patio table, which is next to the house, that is south-facing. Here's a picture.
IMG_9682.1.jpg
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I was also wondering if they'd been out in the snow! They looked far too pristine for that :)
Cheshire, UK
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Lovely to see these Liz and they are looking lovely. Sedum suaveolens is one of my (many!) favourites, it's not easy to grow into such a nice clump. Thanks for posting.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by Lyn »

BEAUTIFUL plants Liz :-)
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I've not seen Aeonium 'Kew Marble' before, it looks like a Pachyphytum though there are Aeoniums with quite fleshy leaves. Has it flowered? Is there any more info on this plant and is there a Kew connection.
Stuart
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BrianMc »

Stuart wrote:I've not seen Aeonium 'Kew Marble' before, it looks like a Pachyphytum ...
Stuart
Surely a Graptoveria ?
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse