Mammillaria aureilanata

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Keith H
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Mammillaria aureilanata

Post by Keith H »

FaeLLe wrote:
Keith H wrote:That is an impressive root system, I bet you can not wait to see it flowering.
Interestingly it has 4 flower buds already on the plant though I dont think they will flower till spring now :)
It would be a big mistake to go 'Oh flowers...... must give water.......' assuming that you are not growing indoors with heat and UV lights, they will have to wait untill spring.
I look forward to seeing more pictures.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD

Post by FaeLLe »

Keith H wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:
Keith H wrote:That is an impressive root system, I bet you can not wait to see it flowering.
Interestingly it has 4 flower buds already on the plant though I dont think they will flower till spring now :)
It would be a big mistake to go 'Oh flowers...... must give water.......' assuming that you are not growing indoors with heat and UV lights, they will have to wait untill spring.
Hi Keith,

I actually have in my indoors greenhouse under 300W grow lights which have full spectrum (red, blue) and UV + little Infrared LED's. Also despite my turning the heating off in my grow room it is hard for it to drop below 20 C, at night it goes down to 15-17 C.....
Keith H
BCSS Member

Post by Keith H »

FaeLLe wrote:
Keith H wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:
Hi Keith,

I actually have in my indoors greenhouse under 300W grow lights which have full spectrum (red, blue) and UV + little Infrared LED's. Also despite my turning the heating off in my grow room it is hard for it to drop below 20 C, at night it goes down to 15-17 C.....
Cool, check out some of the posts from our Scandi-wegian members, they work wonders with grow lights.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Keith H wrote: Cool, check out some of the posts from our Scandi-wegian members, they work wonders with grow lights.
Any suggestions on usernames / who they are? I know MartinDK is one of them with his great adeniums!

Repotted it this morning so thought of sharing some other pics of it where the flower buds are visible, I could count 8 of them! -> https://imgur.com/gallery/K7QBH
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

KarlR is one and he wrote a superb article in the xerophilia on line mag.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
Keith H
BCSS Member

Post by Keith H »

FaeLLe wrote:
Keith H wrote: Cool, check out some of the posts from our Scandi-wegian members, they work wonders with grow lights.
Any suggestions on usernames / who they are? I know MartinDK is one of them with his great adeniums!

Repotted it this morning so thought of sharing some other pics of it where the flower buds are visible, I could count 8 of them! -> https://imgur.com/gallery/K7QBH

Have a look at Christer Johansson , he posts some very nice and well photographed plants, there are others but they are not so easy to remember / find. Try looking back at the forum in late winter / early spring of previous years, the time when most UK growers have greenhouses full of dormant plants with nothing to talk about or photograph, thread title is usually species name and there are often lots of replies.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Keith H wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:
Hi Keith,

They have been just under my MarsHydro LED grow lights (top shelf treatment) and maybe 20 cm away from a T8 tubelight.
This is what I noticed this morning, 13 flower buds in total waiting to open up!

Appreciate some guidance from the resident experts if I should perhaps give them a tiny sip of water?
The temperatures are just not going below 20-24 Celcius in my indoor greenhouse....
IMG_0764.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG (131.6 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Keith H
BCSS Member

Post by Keith H »

(tu) Looking good, unfortunatly I have no experiance of grow lights so can not advise re. the watering.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

I decided to water it and it has flowered :)

Trying foolishly every day to cross pollinate with a fine paintbrush but it doesnt seem to do anything.

I am saving some pollen on the brush for when another of my mammillaria flowers, there is one in kitchen with 13 pink flower buds probably waiting for spring.
IMG_0791.jpeg
IMG_0791.jpeg (36.04 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

FaeLLe wrote: Trying foolishly every day to cross pollinate with a fine paintbrush but it doesnt seem to do anything.
I usually just use my fingers for these kind of flowers. Much easier, more control. Just be sure to use one specific finger for specific species if you are pollinating multiple species (with each other within each species) at a time, to prevent cross pollination.