Plastic Pots

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Plastic Pots

Post by Roger Mann »

Can anyone kindly advise me where I can buy new BEF plastic pots. Or are there any other good makes I could obtain. Many thanks Roger Mann, Colchester.
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
tonyironscacti
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Plastic Pots

Post by tonyironscacti »

Maries.Pots.Direct.

There is an advert in the Cactusworld Journal every quarter. :grin:
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Roger Mann »

Thanks but she does not have the square pots I require. Roger
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I don't know if Philip Barker is still selling them, the page on the Manchester Branch site include the words New prices for 2014 http://www.manchester.bcss.org.uk/index ... s-sundries
tonyironscacti
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by tonyironscacti »

If you email Marie, she does have BEF pots and others that are not on the website or EBay.

Smaller quantities are not usually advertised as well as fresh stock coming in that have not been graded or cleaned are similarly not listed.

Cheers
Sylv
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Sylv »

Hi,What does BEF actualy stand for please?

Sylv.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Hi Sylv,

See:-

https://hartley-botanic.co.uk/magazine/ ... -bef-pots/

They were originally made from polypropylene, which was more UV resistant than the polystyrene pots generally available. I am still using some 20 years on. The shorter lived polystyrene pots did not matter to most nurserymen and gardeners at the time since they did not keep plants in them for long before they were sold or potted on, but for our hobby plants could be in the same pot in the greenhouse for many years, therefore brittle pot rims disintegrating when you tried to pick a plant out of the staging often caused damaged plants, or hands full of spines, therefore long lasting UV resistant BEF pots were a godsend.

I think the ones sold now are made from a different long lasting plastic though?
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I think most pots are still polyethene or polypropene but the difference is that if they have uv stabilisers in the mix they last for ages and ages and if they don't they can go in a couple of years.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Peter B
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Peter B »

Latest news about BEF pots and Philip Barker is promising. He had bad health and eye problems during 2016 and didn't get to the various big meetings around the country but he has now had both eyes operated on and orders have been going out. It is still best that orders be sent via me at peter@bint.myzen.co.uk stating the following:
Name, address, phone number and email address
Your order stated clearly
The date by which you would like to receive your order if at all possible
Where the order should be left in case there is nobody at home to receive the order

The order should be paid for on receipt of the same adding the postage to the price of the pots. Cheques are the only method Philip has of receiving the payment (other than when you buy from his stall at meetings which he may well be able to attend again this year) and should be made out to 'Philip Barker'.
I will get him to update his prices on the Manchester branch website.
Many thanks

Peter B
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Thanks Peter, this is really useful. I've been hunting for some large plastic bowls with no success, I should have bought some at the National. I will send an order as soon as I've checked the sizes I need.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias