Plants I'd please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mandy
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Plants I'd please

Post by Mandy »

1487341868105420994353.jpg
Just got a box full of delights from the garden centre but no name tags , can anybody name them for me please, I'm new to cacti ,just starting up and learning about them.
1487341920499423029525.jpg
1487341991445619578373.jpg
1487342062550392211024.jpg
1487342133482-156991050.jpg
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Plants I'd please

Post by rodsmith »

Oh dear. Lots of pretend flowers that will possibly damage the plants if you remove them. The first plants is Austrocylindropuntia subulata and the second one in the same picture appears to be a monstrose plant, possible an opuntia. The plant on the left in the second photo looks like Mammillaria elongata and the one on the right is another monstrose plant. I can't identify the two plants in the third photo. Fourth photo, from the left - Cleistocactus strausii, Notocactus (Parodia) leninghausii or warasii (I'm not sure which) The one on the right could be Notocactus (Parodia) uebelmannia. Last picture; the one at the back looks like a Lobivia, on the left a Ferocactus and on the right a Mammillaria. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

I agree wihn most of what Rod said except
The one on the right could be Notocactus (Parodia) uebelmannia
I think it is Notocactus magnificus.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

Thank you, should I remove the flowers then , it may seem silly but I didn't realise they were false flowers . How silly am I, a couple have fallen off already quite easy.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

The 'flowers' are usually dried and coloured Helichrysum flowers, stuck on in Holland or Belgium with a hot glue gun. they should come off fairly easily but might leave some heat damage behind. For anyone new to the hobby the flowers are quite convincing. When they first started sticking on the dried flowers they used to match up the correct flower colours and position but now they're stuck on all over the place. They're probably best avoided in the future.
Stuart
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

I have taken them all off they don't seem to have made any damage on the plants thankfully, so with any look they will be fine. You learn something new everyday I want be buying anymore cacti with false flowers in the future. My first learning curve.
fruit
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by fruit »

Left hand in image 3 looks like Austrocylindropuntia vestita f. cristata
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Keith H wrote:I agree wihn most of what Rod said except
The one on the right could be Notocactus (Parodia) uebelmannia
I think it is Notocactus magnificus.
Yes, you're quite right, Keith. Thanks for the correction.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

Thank you I will be putting there name tags on tomorrow, and be having a read up about there requirements, lots to learn.
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Werewolf »

1. l: Austrocylindropuntia subulata monstrose
2. l: Mammillaria elongata; r: Cereus hildmannianus monstrose
3. l: Borzicactus sp. cristate? r: Cereus hildmannianus monstrose
4. l: Cleistocactus strausii; m: Notocactus (or Parodia) leninghausii; r: Notocactus (or Parodia) magnificus
5. l: Trichocereus pasacana; m: Chamaelobivia cv.; r: Mammillaria hahniana