Damage, disease and pests.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Andyh
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD

Damage, disease and pests.

Post by Andyh »

Hi all,
This Cereus peruvianus had some slug damage in the autumn. There are now black and rust color marks. I'm guessing fungus? Most stems have some. Is it recoverable do you think?

The second picture is an Opuntia from the cold greenhouse. Two pads had some rot which I cut off. This pad only has a little. Should I cut it off? Its now in the house.

Finally a picture of moth damage for interest. The caterpillars like aeonium shoots as well as pelargoniums.

Any tips welcome. I'm avoiding using pesticide unless on indoor plants.
Andy
Problem with Cereus
Problem with Cereus
Opuntia rot
Opuntia rot
Aeonium with caterpillar damage
Aeonium with caterpillar damage
Last edited by Tony R on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Reordered pictures correctly by placing images inline - looks neater. recommended to you in future. thanks.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Damage, disease and pests.

Post by Liz M »

I have had moth damage on my Aeoniums, too. A small green caterpillar 'sews' the leaves together to make a nest, which runis the leaves. The best control for this is to check frequently and remove the caterpillar. I have been having this problem for a couple of years now and fortunately Aeoniums grow fast in summer and the damage grows out. I have come across the same on Pelargoniums, I cut off all the leaves back in late Autumn and hope the problem does not re-occur. There has been a lot of this across the country, I don't use any controls just regular checks.
I can't help you with your Cereus or Opuntia, as I have been fortunate with those.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

The black markings on the cereus look like cold damage. This plant doesn't like the cold in my experience and I would recommend you maintain it in a temperature of around 10 deg C. With the opuntia I think I would detach the smallish offshoot at the top (partly out of the picture) and root it once it has calloused over. The rest of the plant might not be salvageable.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Andyh
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Andyh »

Thankyou Liz and Rod.
As you say the caterpillar pulls the leaves together damaging the growing point for a while. They also damage Easter/Christmas cacti. The first sign of trouble is tiny seed like frass around the pots. If I spot this I look for the the caterpillars. Often I don't notice until they've caused damage.
The greenhouse has dropped to 5 degrees quite a few times. Most plants are fine, but as you suggest the cereus wants it warmer. Next winter I might use a bit more insulation. Pilocereus also suffered from small slugs and similar markings. Andy
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

I had the same moth it turned out to be tortrex.
Acid John
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

The various tortrix moth caterpillars have this behaviour of sticking leaves together, using the plant they're eating as a protective cover. I've had Aeoniums and Echeverias in the greenhouse damaged this way; roses and all sorts attacked in the garden.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525