Adenia balleyi

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SteveJones
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Adenia balleyi

Post by SteveJones »

Hi all. I was wondering if anybody had tried to germinate seeds of this species and if you have do you think the large flat seeds would benefit from an overnight soaking in boiled water. One seed from the ten I planted 2-3 weeks ago has germinated. Am I being impatient?

Steve. >:D<:gl:
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: Adenia balleyi

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Steve, I soaked 12seeds of Adenia multiflorum overnight before adding to pot. All are doing very well after 100prcent germination. I was told to discard any that floated. Cheers
SteveJones
BCSS Member

Post by SteveJones »

Eric Williams wrote:Hi Steve, I soaked 12seeds of Adenia multiflorum overnight before adding to pot. All are doing very well after 100prcent germination. I was told to discard any that floated. Cheers
Hi Eric. Thanks for the reply. I presume you mean Adenium multiflorm. The Adenia balleyi seeds I bought from Mesa Gardens are about 1cm and quite flat, I don't know how this compares with Adenium seeds.

Steve. :duh:
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Adenium seeds are elongated, bit long tube shaped, light brown in colour.

Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Are you using bottom heat Steve? If not you are doing extraordinarily well getting even one to germinate and if you are I wouldn't expect much more germination after that amount of time. Before I got a propagator for Christmas I'd never germinated a single Adenia seed, despite trying with ballyi, spinosa, glauca and others. I collected some seed from a tuberous Adenia in 2015 in Mozambique and sent some to my travelling companion when we got home. He got 100% germination sitting the pot on his heated conservatory floor and I got 0% on my sunniest windowsill. I tried again with the propagator a year later and got 100% myself. I've also germinated A.firingalavensis, A.epigea, A.venenata and A.isaloensis in it, all within 7-10 days. Bottom heat seems to be the thing.

A.ballyi is apparently a difficult species to germinate. I bought a couple of seedlings from an American grower a couple of years ago grown from her own seed and she wouldn't sell me any seed as well as the germination is so poor she needed to keep them all for propagation.

So one out of ten isn't bad. :grin:
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi
another question is do you stand them upright, I have done with succulent seeds before & it seemed to help but I wasn't sure if it was just chance that more of the upright seed appeared to germinate.
I have been having a worrying time with Nicks seed but it hasn't finally started germinating- cheers nick
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Tina wrote: I have been having a worrying time with Nicks seed but it hasn't finally started germinating- cheers nick
I've had no luck with the A.olaboensis Tina either. I think that maybe the seed was too old and dessicated, I found the old fruits on the ground around the plants probably from former years, this year's fruit on the plants were empty.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
SteveJones
BCSS Member

Post by SteveJones »

Nick_G wrote:Are you using bottom heat Steve? If not you are doing extraordinarily well getting even one to germinate and if you are I wouldn't expect much more germination after that amount of time. Before I got a propagator for Christmas I'd never germinated a single Adenia seed, despite trying with ballyi, spinosa, glauca and others. I collected some seed from a tuberous Adenia in 2015 in Mozambique and sent some to my travelling companion when we got home. He got 100% germination sitting the pot on his heated conservatory floor and I got 0% on my sunniest windowsill. I tried again with the propagator a year later and got 100% myself. I've also germinated A.firingalavensis, A.epigea, A.venenata and A.isaloensis in it, all within 7-10 days. Bottom heat seems to be the thing.

A.ballyi is apparently a difficult species to germinate. I bought a couple of seedlings from an American grower a couple of years ago grown from her own seed and she wouldn't sell me any seed as well as the germination is so poor she needed to keep them all for propagation.

So one out of ten isn't bad. :grin:
Sorry I haven't got back to you Nick, I got distracted by life. Yes I am using bottom heat so here's hoping. I soaked them overnight in boiled water and all bar one sank to the bottom of the bowl which I hope means they're not too desiccated. >:D<:gl: