ELK 2017

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
topsy
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

ELK 2017

Post by topsy »

Can anyone help please?

We have a member in our Brighton & Hove branch who is booked in to ELK for the first time and is seeking someone to travel with. He has not driven on the Continent before but will do so if he has a co-driver/navigator, or you may prefer to drive and have him as a passenger. Expenses will be shared. He lives in the Hastings, East Sussex area.

Many thanks in hope of a positive response.

Suzanne Mace
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ELK 2017

Post by FaeLLe »

Suzanne I was planning to drive from Kent to ELK 2017 on the morning of the event.

We could coordinate if it is feasible over PM. P.S. no commitments yet as I am yet to check with the SO on what the travel plans are.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

I tend to go over Friday morning via Dover ferry and have a spare seat, and my motor is more than big enough to cope with purchases.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Post by topsy »

Thanks Bill,

I am having trouble getting a response from our member, but will see him on Thursday at the branch meeting.

Regards, Suzanne
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Any advice on where to stay when over there? Bruges? Costs?
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Post by topsy »

We stay at the ELK venue which has to be booked a year in advance, but there are plenty of places to stay in Blankenberge and you can either walk from your hotel to the venue or take the tram.

If you are travelling by train, the station is right in the middle of Blankenberge.

Good luck,

Suzanne
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

topsy wrote:We stay at the ELK venue which has to be booked a year in advance, but there are plenty of places to stay in Blankenberge and you can either walk from your hotel to the venue or take the tram.

If you are travelling by train, the station is right in the middle of Blankenberge.

Good luck,

Suzanne

Thanks, Blankenberge looks like a nice spot alright.

Would the sellers be willing to post on anything bought? Or do you have to cart everything away on the day?
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I can't imagine any of the nurseries offering to mail plants that you buy in the bourse. However some of the nurseries there (e.g. Uhlig, Palkowitchia, Rare cacti) do offer a regular mail order service (see Cactus Mall) and would probably accept an order for subsequent mailing. If you are flying, there are plenty of fields, rose beds etc, where you can unpot your plants and wrap them for going in your luggage.
Bill

Post by Bill »

I flew the first year I went, took back 80 plants in my suitcase, depotted and wrapped in newspaper.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Just a month to go for the ELK!
Who up here is going (too)?