Hardy Aloe moved outdoors, any ID suggestions please?  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hardy Aloe moved outdoors, any ID suggestions please?

Post by FaeLLe »

So these Aloe's have been growing outside for years at a friend's house in Portsmouth all year unprotected and I have recently replanted them in my garden bed in south east London (loam soil mixed with grit into the soil a few cm's below and around the roots).

What is this Aloe and any tips to get them settled in and get through winter? Assuming I don't need to protect them either as they are growing under a south facing fence.
Been growing here all along
Been growing here all along
Close up view
Close up view
Pups uprooted
Pups uprooted
Where the pups went in (view from right)
Where the pups went in (view from right)
Planted in it's new house (view from left)
Planted in it's new house (view from left)
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Re: Hardy Aloe moved outdoors, any ID suggestions please?  Solved

Post by Paul in Essex »

They are Aloe x nobilis, usually called Aloe mitriformis (which it isn't) and perhaps now more properly called Aloe perfoliata although I don't know if that is set in stone. Anyway - I would personally grow it harder than you have it. Next to Hydrangea is not a good match as far as soil conditions go!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Hardy Aloe moved outdoors, any ID suggestions please?

Post by Diane »

Those Hydrangeas will soon grow large enough to smother the Aloes, and as they like copious watering, not the best site for a succulent plant!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Re: Hardy Aloe moved outdoors, any ID suggestions please?

Post by habanerocat »

Also growing them on a slightly raised bed where they won't get any water run-off might help them. That south facing wall looks like it would have been a great help to them as a heat sink. Probably better than the fence.