Hi from the uk

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
phil1984
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hi from the uk

Post by phil1984 »

Hi everyone, I just got into cactus and starting with opuntia engelmannii. I've just made my soil mix up 2 parts potting compost, 1 part perlite, 1 and a half part pure white silica sand, and 1 part potting grit. I think It looks and feels right? But before I sow my seeds was just wondering do the need scarifying first or will they be ok?? Any help really appreciated [emoji6] thanks in advance.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
phil1984
Registered Guest

Re: Hi from the uk

Post by phil1984 »

Hi everyone, can any one tell me why the sand is going green in places. Would anyone take top lid off for abit so not so humid?Image

Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

That's algae growing. Have you sterilised the soil by cooking it well before moisturing it for sowing? One should do so, as sterilising the soil will prevent algae to grow on the short run (but eventually will still happen). Opuntia might take a long time (months) for the seeds to germinate. So for that sterilising your soil is really needed.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I agree with Aiko's comments. However, I have had seedlings in pots that are covered in green algae without any harm being done to the seedlings. Once the humidity drops the algae will die off (I realise this may be many months away). I've had most problems with damping-off which could be a risk in your case if you haven't sterilised the growing medium.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
phil1984
Registered Guest

Post by phil1984 »

I am guilty, I never sterilised my soil before I planted. Will they be ok or should I give up on them now and start some more. As it's the sand I put on top that's going green?? Image

Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Are the seeds in the sand, or below it?

If you can find the seeds back (they are relatively big), I would just take them out, clean them with some water, take some fresh soil, sterelise it and resow the seeds.
phil1984
Registered Guest

Re: RE: Re: Hi from the uk

Post by phil1984 »

Aiko wrote:Are the seeds in the sand, or below it?

If you can find the seeds back (they are relatively big), I would just take them out, clean them with some water, take some fresh soil, sterelise it and resow the seeds.
Hi aiko, the seeds are on top of soil just beneith the sand. What soil mix would you use and would you cover with sand like instructions told me to do?? I used 2 parts soil, 1 part potting grit, 1 part silica sand and 1 part perlite!? What would you do?

phil1984
Registered Guest

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hi from the uk

Post by phil1984 »

phil1984 wrote:
Aiko wrote:Are the seeds in the sand, or below it?

Hi aiko, the seeds are on top of soil just beneith the sand. What soil mix would you use and would you cover with sand like instructions told me to do?? I used 2 parts soil, 1 part potting grit, 1 part silica sand and 1 part perlite!? What would you do?

Just thought I wrote that in main post lmao [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

phil1984
Registered Guest

Post by phil1984 »

My new soil mix about to go in microwave. 1 part soil, 1 part sand and one part perlite. I left out grit this time, I think it looks alot better and feels it too! What would any of you guys cover seeds with??

Melinda
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Melinda »

Hi everybody :smile: I am from UK as well. Have been collecting cacti since teen age :grin: My hobby include yoga and cloths design.
Hope to find nice people and a lot of interestig stuff on cacti here. (tu)