Help with ID Please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Duns
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Member

Help with ID Please

Post by Duns »

The plants in the images below are the last unidentified plants I have from my recently purchased batch. Can anyone help with their identification?
Many thanks,
John
Attachments
IMG_1914.jpg
IMG_1914.jpg (21.37 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
IMG_1915.jpg
IMG_1915.jpg (21.11 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
IMG_1916.jpg
IMG_1916.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: Help with ID Please

Post by esp »

I may not be exactly correct here, but these are something like:
1. Echeveria derenbergii
2. x. Graptosedum - maybe "Vera Higgins" in need of slightly more light
3. Aloe perfoliata
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I have entirely different identifications, I'm afraid, although the geni are the same
1) Echeveria chihuahuaensis
2) Graptosedum 'Francisco Baldi'
3) Aloe x nobilis
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Liz M wrote:... the geni are the same
Hi Liz,

FYI, genus is a third declension latin noun so its plural is genera not geni :wink:
cf equus (horse) which is second declension and the plural is indeed equi.

PS As a scientist, my 'O-level latin' has been with me throughout my working life! Sad, really!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Thank you very much ESP and Liz for taking the time to ID my plants - it is really helpful and much appreciated.

John
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Hi Tony, thank you for clarifying that, I felt when I wrote it it was probably wrong. Unfortunately, I did not have the benefit of Latin at school, I often wish I had.
Hi Duns, I hope we were not entirely useless in identifying your plants, it can be a minefield and we don't even have the excuse of blurred, badly lit photos.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Not at all Liz. The IDs from you and ESP have pointed me in the right direction and I can now utilize online resources to form a view. I am a complete novice and the help is very much appreciated. I am pleased to say my knowledge of genera (I am learning latin as well!!) is improving though species is a whole different ball game.

Many thanks again

John
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I'd agree with Liz regarding Aloe x nobilis, but wondered about Echeveria pulidonis as an alternative possibility for the first one.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Hi Mike, this is a picture of my Echeveria pulidonis. To me it is quite different from the original picture, as the leaves on that have a very distinctive point and the dark edging is only present at the point. However, mine has had continuous sun over the growing season and is a large plant of many rosettes, also the centre of the rosettes is very tight and the whole rosette is tightly curved inward, with very blue rosettes. This is a major difference to the one pictured. It could be down to cultivation practice, though, I agree. I do have a very small one and it exhibits the same characteristics as the large plant, so I leave it there.
Attachments
IMG_1165.1.jpg
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Nice plant, Liz.
It was the leaf tip colouring that made me think of pulidonis, plus it's mass propagated in the trade. Amount of colour on the leaf edges can vary between clones, and also will tend to be less if the plant's had less direct sun. It's always a bit harder with a small plant and not knowing the growing conditions.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525