Terry on TV

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JaneO
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Terry on TV

Post by JaneO »

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks all round for reassurance. I enjoyed his input and I am pleased his efforts will be safe guarded. Thanks for your constructive comments.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

A thoroughly enjoyable programme and Terry seemed impressively calm, with hands as steady as a rock! Obviously the result of many happy years of tending his plants. The whole clip was excellent with great filming. Well done Terry and the BBC.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Many of us at the Haworthia Society Convention in Leicester watched this either on Friday evening or Sunday morning. Terry and Jennifer were also here with us this weekend so they received many congratulations from all in person.

Personally, I was very 'moved' by Terry's performance and the quality of the content and broadcast.
Well done to Terry, Jennifer and the BBC.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

It was an excellent presentation, well done, Terry!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I can report that Terry was pleased with the result of a whole day's work filming and it was a privilege to join Terry & Jennifer in the bar shortly afterwards to mull over the production process. I don't know any other TV celebs!

What a great weekend! The next day, Dr Terry Smale presented Dr Ernst van Jaarsveld with his Veitch Medal - real gold - presented on behalf of the RHS. Photos should be appearing in future succulent journals. Another memorable Haworthia Society convention - the 14th. Actually, it was very friendly and not at all formal.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

I thought it was a great segment of the show. It seems to have been popular with Gardeners' World viewers too, from looking at what people were saying using the GardenersWorld hashtag on Twitter, so hopefully that might make them think about having more about cacti and succulents on the show.
Mafate79
Registered Guest

Post by Mafate79 »

I also enjoyed this presentation, it was very interesting, thank you Terry! Unfortunately, I'll need to find another way to pollinate my Conos, though I'm younger than Terry, but my hair seems to have aged prematurely! :mrgreen:

And thank you Ivan for the link!
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Hello all of the above contributors to this thread. I am back from the brilliant Haworthia Society weekend and am flattered to read all of your comments. But why are my hairs unhygienic Jane? I wash my hair more often than Aiko's donkey does! They did leave out the bit where I said that various friends use fibres pulled from shade netting, opuntia spines, or hairs from particular brands of brushes.

In fact lots of stuff (from 9 hours of filming) ended up on the cutting-room floor (well, metaphorically these days) that I would have liked to have seen in the film. This included the plug for the BCSS - sorry but I had no control over the editing. I was VERY apprehensive about what the final result would be like, but I think the BBC did a reasonable job.

There are lots of different things in my greenhouses and the conos probably only occupy 30% or less of the space. I have some other mesembs but they are of less interest to me. Clever editing gave little clue as to the other plants being there.

Sorry about the potting shed, but it is due to be replaced next month!!!!
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Just finished watching the segment, and what a delight! Congratulations, Terry. :)
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Terry S. wrote:.....why are my hairs unhygienic.....?
You're not only unhygienic Terry but a bad influence to children. Shame on you! :lol:
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.