Are my seeds progressing as they should?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Duns
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Member

Are my seeds progressing as they should?

Post by Duns »

I planted mixed variety cacti seeds (about 50) on the 10th September and I am pleased the the germination rate has been quite good at greater than 50%. They were sown in cactus compost in a little perspex covered propagator which I keep on a window sill (I thought that the greenhouse would be to cool for germination at this time of the year) I am keeping them well watered (light spray once a week).

Those that have germinated range in height from 5mm to 10mm. Is this what I should expect bearing in mind the time they were sown and am I going about this in the correct way?

Any advice would be appreciated.

John
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Re: Are my seeds progressing as they should?

Post by habanerocat »

The seed raising leaflet suggests keeping them growing at a min of 16 deg. C.

http://www.society.bcss.org.uk/images/C ... atemix.pdf Pages are a bit mixed up.

It's probably best to try keep them growing so give them as much light as possible.

I'm in a similar quandary myself as my first batch of seeds failed miserably but had excellent germination from my second attempt with seeds from a different supplier. Mine are in the greenhouse in bags. So I think they will have to stay there until spring at this stage.
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Thanks Habanerocat, It was on the temperature basis that I decided to keep them in the house as the temperature variation is between 18C and 22C - I suppose my concern is whether they are getting enough light.

Although I have heating in my greenhouse it is set to keep the temperature above 5C so the temperature would be an issue whilst the light should be no problem.

Unless there is advice to the contrary I will keep them in the house until spring - this is all new to me and therefor all about learning!!!

John
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

I grow all my seeds on an upstairs SE-facing bedroom windowsill. Best place for them I've found.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

You seem to be doing well, John. Keep them indoors on a warm & light window ledge. That way you can check them regularly without a trip in the cold to the greenhouse. Spring is a better time to sow, I think. You can sow more then!!
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Thanks Chris and Brian - I will stick with it.

I just thought I would give it a go in September to see what transpired - I have a few packets of seeds that I am keeping until spring.

John
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Duns wrote:Thanks Chris and Brian - I will stick with it.

I just thought I would give it a go in September to see what transpired - I have a few packets of seeds that I am keeping until spring.

John
A pic would be good - maybe then it's clear whether the seedlings are not only a decent size but healthy. I'd be lucky to get that sort of size with a September start!
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Hi Ragamala,

I have provided the images of my September sown seedlings - the prominent one on the left edge of the tray is just over 10mm - I didn't want to poke about too much in case I disturbed the roots Thanks for taking the time to respond.

John
Attachments
IMG_0276 (1).jpg
IMG_0276 (1).jpg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
IMG_0277 (1).jpg
IMG_0277 (1).jpg (55.36 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Duns wrote:Hi Ragamala,

I have provided the images of my September sown seedlings....
John
Thanks!

I sowed some in late summer and they are looking a bit leggier than yours, I guess because I didn't give them enough light, I took more care of my spring sowings, when I expect better results and good growth in the first season. I'll be keeping my late sowings indoors through the winter as others have advised. Yours look to be doing well so far! They will appreciate as much light as you can offer them, I think.
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, as they are indoors the amount of light they get at this time of year will be key. I am getting a bit obsessive about this and spend an inordinate amount of time moving them from window to window to maximise their light exposure. Hopefully I will remember where I left them last :wink:

John