Vote for us.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: Vote for us.

Post by ragamala »

I just don't have enough information. I am not told how this came about, how "official" this is, and why I should give my personal information to an insurance company.

Sorry. But until these questions are answered I frankly won't participate.
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

As long as they don't ask for my phone number and as long as my spam filter works.. I have no problems giving away my 'personal' data. As a matter of fact, since I have more than one email address...
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by FaeLLe »

ragamala wrote:I just don't have enough information. I am not told how this came about, how "official" this is, and why I should give my personal information to an insurance company.

Sorry. But until these questions are answered I frankly won't participate.
Well you could just vote and know it is from a trusted source that has helped hundreds of charities before.

Most of the information you give is not personally identifiable information and you could even make a new email just to vote for BCSS if you really wanted to support us.

Anything else is just an excuse to note vote ;)
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

I hear what you are saying, but if you look at the privacy policy it is not reassuring. My wife has just been subject to the threat of impersonation through a data leak. I myself already regularly deal with hundreds of incoming emails. I don't want any more.

My fear also is that my experience of internet polls etc has shown me they are easily manipulated. Your suggestion of creating a "new" email address for the purpose is an example of how this can be abused. If one new email, why not several, tens, or whatever. It happens.

So yes, on this I have no real excuse, other than being an old grump (I am not anti-technology but I am increasingly concerned about the use of personal data, and the internet in forming opinion - eg there was a worrying surge of intereference with personal elector choice at the last general election, but frankly I would rather make an extra donation to the Society or contribute in another way than get engaged with this, unless there is any indication at all the the Society is in with a good chance. If you get ten votes, and the current total stands at 380 or thereabouts, Frankly I would need quite a bit of persuading.

https://www.avivacommunityfund.co.uk/ac ... acy-policy

Inter alia -
"Information you provide to Aviva -
We may receive personal information about you from you when you take part in the Aviva Community Fund.
This information may include:
basic personal details such as your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, date of birth or age, gender, marital status; and your marketing preferences.

Overall this is a far wider grant of permission to use data than I am happy with.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

ragamala wrote:I hear what you are saying, but if you look at the privacy policy it is not reassuring. My wife has just been subject to the threat of impersonation through a data leak. I myself already regularly deal with hundreds of incoming emails. I don't want any more.

My fear also is that my experience of internet polls etc has shown me they are easily manipulated. Your suggestion of creating a "new" email address for the purpose is an example of how this can be abused. If one new email, why not several, tens, or whatever. It happens.

So yes, on this I have no real excuse, other than being an old grump (I am not anti-technology but I am increasingly concerned about the use of personal data, and the internet in forming opinion - eg there was a worrying surge of intereference with personal elector choice at the last general election, but frankly I would rather make an extra donation to the Society or contribute in another way than get engaged with this, unless there is any indication at all the the Society is in with a good chance. If you get ten votes, and the current total stands at 380 or thereabouts, Frankly I would need quite a bit of persuading.

https://www.avivacommunityfund.co.uk/ac ... acy-policy

Inter alia -
"Information you provide to Aviva -
We may receive personal information about you from you when you take part in the Aviva Community Fund.
This information may include:
basic personal details such as your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, date of birth or age, gender, marital status; and your marketing preferences.

Overall this is a far wider grant of permission to use data than I am happy with.
Under GDPR regulations once the voting is over and results are announced you could write to Aviva and they HAVE TO take all your personal details off their systems and only use if for compliance enforcement activity (and no other purposes). The information will also need to be removed after the mandatory data retention period required for compliance purposes.

No matter what is written in the policy GDPR will trump all of it. They are also not allowed to email you if you click unsubscribe.
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

FaeLLe wrote:
No matter what is written in the policy GDPR will trump all of it. They are also not allowed to email you if you click unsubscribe.
SO they can still flog our details to the US and elsewhere. This is exactly where the Equifax scandal started. Even when in that instance there was no personal disclosure of detail. Sorry, still sounds bad to me.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

ragamala wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:
SO they can still flog our details to the US and elsewhere. This is exactly where the Equifax scandal started. Even when in that instance there was no personal disclosure of detail. Sorry, still sounds bad to me.
Dont think you understand what GDPR stands for, it is not an approval to flog or send content in an unrestricted manner to the USA.

In fact if anything they have to remove content that is stored even outside the EU if they have not collected it for the reason they got it in the first place... The moment you tell them to take it off they need to do it from everywhere!

http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/just/item- ... _id=605819
https://www.whitecase.com/publications/ ... protection
Commentary: The EU-US Privacy Shield

Following the decision in Schrems, the Commission and the US FTC have formally agreed the implementation of the EU-US Privacy Shield, which effectively replaces Safe Harbor. The final version of the deal features a number of amendments, mainly to address concerns raised by WP29 and the European Parliament. The most important changes include:

- A requirement for companies to delete personal data that no longer serve the purpose for which they were collected.
- A requirement that third party companies processing data on behalf of companies that have signed up to the Privacy Shield must guarantee the same level of protection as the Privacy Shield companies themselves.
- Clarifications from the US government that bulk surveillance will be authorised only in exceptional circumstances, where targeted collection is not feasible, and will be accompanied by additional safeguards to minimise the volume of data collected and subsequent access to the collected data (such access to be targeted and only permitted for specific purposes).
- Clarifications on the Ombudsperson Mechanism. In particular, the US Secretary of State will ensure that the Ombudsperson will have the means to ensure that its response to individual requests is based on all necessary information.

This publication is provided for your convenience and does not constitute legal advice.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Every individual is comfortable with a certain level of risk and that is their personal choice and decision which should be respected.
So please let it be ....
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)