Plants for a NE facing office windowsill

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Plants for a NE facing office windowsill

Post by KathyM »

My dad has requested some plants for his windowsill at work. Maybe more east-northeast facing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So far I have picked out a Peperomia ferreyrae and Stapelia variegata. I know Aloes and Gasterias are often recommended for north-facing windows but they're not really something I grow. I might be able to get him a couple of Aloe offsets. I assume something like Crassula ovata should be fine too. But after that I'm a bit stuck!

For cacti, I assume the epiphytic cacti would like this aspect, but they don't seem to really be sold at plant sales and I currently only have 1 Rhipsalis I think. I don't think they'd be able to grow trailing plants, but the windowsill is 40cm deep so there would probably be a good amount of room for the spreading ones.

Are there any non-epiphytic cacti worth a try?
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Plants for a NE facing office windowsill

Post by juster »

Hi Kathy, it sounds as though the window sill will get good light, so some Rebutias might be worth a try. Most of them are more or less indestructible and they flower profusely and when small.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KathyM »

I have taken quite a lot of Rebutia cuttings this year which are still all in trays in the greenhouse so I could give them some to try.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Also Haworthias. These prefer to be out of too much direct sunlight.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

Hi Kathy

I've got surplus of the following, if you are interested, drop me a site mail:

Crassula muscosa
Crassula gollum
Crassula ovata prob hummel's sunset
Haworthia venosa v. tesselata
Hatiora rosea
Schlumbergera x buckleyi - traditional pink Christmas cactus

All are nice looking, well established plant. Without going to measure them, the crassulas are probably all 15-20 cm high, apart from the gollum which may be smaller. The Christmas cactus is still small, but has several flower buds.

Cheers

Ed