Astrophytum cap. med.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Astrophytum cap. med.

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, having read that this plant needs some water during Winter, I decided to bring a plant into the house to keep under observation. This one is seed raised and on its own roots. After a bottom watering I was pleasantly suprised how quick a response the plant made. Tubercles that were about 50 degrees to the vertical moved very quickley to nearer the vertical position. Never seen such a response to a drop of water. LoL. Cheers
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: Astrophytum cap. med.

Post by Stuart »

Mine dries back to a woody caudex in winter, just has annual growth each year, strange plant!

Stuart
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

That’s interesting Stuart my plants never lose more than one or two old tubercles in the winter, and I keep them bone dry in winter. Mind you I water them a bit earlier in spring than my other cacti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Just wondered if grafted plants need a different Winter stratergy ? Cheers
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

All mine are on their own roots so can’t comment on grafted ones. They don’t seem difficult to grow on their own roots so I don’t see the advantage of grafting

Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks AB. You are right, they seem to grow well on their own roots as you say. Could be quicker growth on a graft to allow quicker sale. Just a thought. Cheers
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

Perhaps I am alone in this but I don't find them easy. They tend to dry up overwinter for me. I get Stuart's woody caudex but they struggle to regenerate. I only have relatively young seedlings (perhaps a few years) - mainly because they don't last much longer for me. :smile:
I've been wondering about a little water during the winter but that seems counter-intuitive for a plant which is largely a root - we historically used to say that plants with large roots need more drainage and dry during winter. This of course just be an old husband's tale. I have it is fairly dry compost, does it need a richer soil to develop bulk?
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

I've just lost my small seedling (a few years old) - just completely dried up - I don't have much luck with this plant...
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Hmm. My oldest plants date back to 2010 so not that old, the others are seedlings from my oldest plants, and all have flowered. Only 2 of my original 5 seedlings survives, the others dried up slowly which I belatedly realised was due to WFT. The subsequent seedlings were loads more successful, I kept them in a propagator and watered all year round until they had been through 2 winters. That kept the thrips off, and I spray regularly in the growing season if I see live thrips on them. They’re in my standard cactus compost but I never let them dry out too long between watering. Hope that helps [emoji3]

Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

I have given up on this plant now as I got some in 2007 (elk) grafted and they just packed up over winter even inside on a windowsill then got a couple more in 2009 (elk) one bigger one on a graft and a seedling but lasted first winter then lost the bigger one in the summer and smaller in the winter then I got some at the national show last year and the final seedling has just given up and I don't know why as it has looked ok and well all summer then all of a sudden it looked like it was drying up from all the tips and it doesn't look like it will revive
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/