Spines coming off cactus  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ava
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Spines coming off cactus  Solved

Post by Ava »

Hi all :) It's been a while.

I posted last year about some old (presumably) cacti my father-in-law acquired from his old workplace (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=164726)

The middle plant, Cleistocactus strausii or Espostoa lanata, is possibly not well. The other day I brushed my hand against it by accident quite lightly, and found my knuckle covered with embedded spines!

The pictures in the other thread show it is quite etiolated in places but has branched out. I only had a macro lens on me when I took photos today and couldn't get the whole thing in the photo.

I have attached photos of the tip and base. The spines came off from the base. It doesn't look like it's rotting and I can't see any pests in the photos. I haven't tried seeing whether the spines come off from further up the plant, because while it might be relevant... it did kind of hurt :p

Apparently it was last watered at least a few months ago. It doesn't look shriveled up to me, so I'm not sure that's a problem.

Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Spines coming off cactus

Post by Diane »

Well it looks healthy enough. Very often, cacti do lose spines from old growth, especially if brushed against, they can detach quite easily. I shouldn't worry too much, it certainly doesn't seem to be rotting.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by cactuspip »

I find Cleistocactii need an occasional drop of water during the winter. The growing point seems to dry up very easily if I don't.
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

Diane wrote:Well it looks healthy enough. Very often, cacti do lose spines from old growth, especially if brushed against, they can detach quite easily. I shouldn't worry too much, it certainly doesn't seem to be rotting.
Ah okay, thanks :)
cactuspip wrote:I find Cleistocactii need an occasional drop of water during the winter. The growing point seems to dry up very easily if I don't.
Done! This seems a good reason to separate the three plants.